Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 'Boffin' Test

Default A 'Boffin' Test

Well, not exactly but it does have some purpose. I find the lack of good quality science in our schools shocking. Whatever happened to good old fashioned experiments that involved lots of dangerous substances?

When I talk to my two teenage daughters about science and ask about the experiments they do, they tell me that they just have to watch a video as it's far to risky for the teacher to do experiments in class

Whatever happened to good old fume cupboards, bunsen burners, phophorus, sodium, balloons full of hydrogen... Chasing 'balls' of mercury round with a straw (with instructions not to suck ) etc

What were the best experiments you did when you were at school ???

Test yourself & see if you're up to the GCSE's...

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/bi...us/index.shtml

I'm ashamed to say that I got an 'A' in about 30 seconds flat, not exactly brain taxing

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Woohoo !! (as "Da Kidz" say).

I got a U.

Surely that stands for "University Material".

E

haha .
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I got a C. How the heck I am supposed to know what the color of the wires are in UK?

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

That's easy.
    We have all the colours of the rainbow in this country (it's not a third world you know!).

I got a B but got lots of biology questions which i said was my worst subject - am i making excuses...good to see the old skool still out in front

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Lightbulb

I got a D... I forgot about acids and bases...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Thumbs down

I'd give whoever made that test an F, because some of the questions have no correct answer. For example I got "How long does it take light from the sun to reach earth", with the alternatives 1, 10, 100 or 1000 seconds. How are you supposed to answer that question correctly? I answered 1000 because that's the closest to the real answer (500) and got a B on the test. Then I redid it and answered 100 on that question and the same on everything else and got an A...

I aced the test, but it seemed like a softball quiz. None of the questions were all that tough. Methinks they have a large database of questions, and sometimes you get an easy test, while other times you get a set of 15 that are all more obscure.

I agree with Tocket re: the question about light travel time from earth to sun... Although it wasn't on my test, that's normally an easy question. There's no excuse for them not listing ~ 8 min as a choice. (Seriously, 100 seconds or 1000 seconds? What kind of range is that?) Bogus answers.

Still, props to the old school generation! We're beating the in-schoolers by 5% right now! Woot!

Adam

I got a C - old school - where is the Q about light reaching from the sun to earth; thats easy; 93 million miles and 186K mps .. I guess that waz in the 'new school' thing..