Thread: SDL 1/2 WATT 980nm SM MOPA LASER DIODE W/FIBER & TEC

Default SDL 1/2 WATT 980nm SM MOPA LASER DIODE W/FIBER & TEC

http://cgi.ebay.com/SDL-1-2-WATT-980...QQcmdZViewItem

Anybody have any feedback on this item for me- This guy says it fairly rare

Thanx for any input

Lightbulb

Um... it is not visible... I have wondered if you could do the same thing you do with a 808nm to get green or blue.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Um... it is not visible... I have wondered if you could do the same thing you do with a 808nm to get green or blue.
    Well, I realize that its not visible- Im more interested in it for a burning application - the point was, is this guy full of it when it comes to his sales pitch. (I collect rarities- from lasers to watches, if its rare I want it)

Thanks

No it has to be 808!
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Lightbulb

I don't mean to get green or blue, but to double it or whatever and see what color might be produced. Or can you only double 808?

Cool

I don't mean to get green or blue, but to double it or whatever and see what color might be produced. Or can you only double 808?
    Aaron, you don't double the 808. You use it to pump the Vanadate crystal (which can lase on several different lines). You then select one of those lines to feed the doubling stage - either 1064 nm (which doubles to 532) or 946 nm (which doubles to 473). The benefit is that the Vanadate will produce a much more collimated beam than the pump diode, and you need that clean beam if you want to use a doubling crystal with any efficiency.

There are a few direct-doubled diode lasers out there (that is, the pump diode feeds directly into the doubling crystal, rather than pumping a secondary cavity), but by and large they are laboratory curiosities.

The beam quality from that 980 nm diode is probably not clean enough to double effectively. But if you somehow *did* manage to double it, you'd end up with 490 nm, which would be a pale blue-ish teal color. A lab could probably pull it off, but it's not something you're going to do in your basement. (And the efficiency would be lousy, due to the crappy beam you're starting with.)

Adam

Default Tapered Amplifer Laser Diode

"Well, I realize that its not visible- Im more interested in it for a burning application - the point was, is this guy full of it when it comes to his sales pitch. (I collect rarities- from lasers to watches, if its rare I want it)"

Well I can tell you one thing, the seller mebe3d, aka Kurt is definitely not "full of it" He knows what he's talking about I've known him for years and has been very helpful to me.

The reason you don't know what that laser is, is because it's rare and in fact you'll probably never see one on ebay again.

I have one of the SDL-XC30 systems that use the tapered amplifier laser diode, and does about 1/2 watt single mode at 670nm.