Thread: Anyone know how these are?

Question Anyone know how these are?

I like to see show's online everyonce and awhile, so I check the "Who's Online" link. We have had many more guests that usual and I noticed many users called "Yahoo! Slurp Spider" and "Google Spider". Who dees be?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

They're simply web crawlers. They are bots that search every website on a regular basis - sometimes more than once a day. Basically they are there to index every website so that the page can be loaded into the search engine database. Its because of these bots that search engines can perform searches of an almost infinite number of pages in less than a second!

Oh, if you have your own website you can see the stats of the users on your website. If you site is not very busy with customers frequenting it then I am willing to bet google's bot is within the top 10 users of your site.

Lightbulb

It is weird because I have never seen them before and when I am up late with nothing to do but watch shows and post whore, I will watch everyone's activity in that page. I have never seen them there before, only users and guests. I think these are showing up as guests. Maybe our fearless leader changes a setting that labels them now.

Hmmm - I am pretty sure I have seen them before listed as you mentioned ie 'googlebot' or whatever. There are a few different names I have seen. But you're right other times I have just seen them as guestbot or something like that.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    .. when I am up late with nothing to do .... I will watch everyone's activity....

EEK !!

A Stalker !!