Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laser Mounting-

hi guys ..

Just a sugestion .....

If you use the optical layout as i used in the banthai beast

there is no need to adjust the laser heads ( shims or side up and down adjustment ) as the nearfeild adjustment using just the M1 mounts takes care of any difference in hight of the heads

all the best .... Karl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0512.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    hi guys ..

Just a sugestion .....

If you use the optical layout as i used in the banthai beast

there is no need to adjust the laser heads ( shims or side up and down adjustment ) as the nearfeild adjustment using just the M1 mounts takes care of any difference in hight of the heads

all the best .... Karl

Wow...it'as amazing how obvious your solution is now that I've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax
    Indeed I do Tim
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/gallery...anwax/album72/
    nothing hi tech but they work a treat
    Thanks Rob!!

Tim

Smile

Karl;

The only problem with the layout in your picture is that it puts the scanners in the middle of the long edge of the projector. Once you send the beam 90 degrees left or right, you've got a long way to go to get to the output aperture at the edge of the baseplate.

This is a layout I've been toying with if I ever re-build my current RGB rig. It dispenses with the floating tables idea and uses a second bounce mirror (just like your layout) to make alignment a snap. But the beam ends up hitting the scanners right at the corner of the plate, and once they make the 90 degree turn through the scanners the beam is headed out of the projector almost immediately. (This allows for a small aperture window.)

Adam

Thumbs up

You got some good beam specs on those reds...

Cool

Well, they *are* labeled as Maxyz modules!

The truth is that I changed the pen size by accident and didn't notice it right away. By the time I saw it, I decided to leave it.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Karl;

The only problem with the layout in your picture is that it puts the scanners in the middle of the long edge of the projector. Once you send the beam 90 degrees left or right, you've got a long way to go to get to the output aperture at the edge of the baseplate.

This is a layout I've been toying with if I ever re-build my current RGB rig. It dispenses with the floating tables idea and uses a second bounce mirror (just like your layout) to make alignment a snap. But the beam ends up hitting the scanners right at the corner of the plate, and once they make the 90 degree turn through the scanners the beam is headed out of the projector almost immediately. (This allows for a small aperture window.)

Adam
    What kind of efficiency loss do you get with the extra mirror bounces?

Smile

You loose about 1-2% for every bounce off a broad-band mirror, assuming it's a good mirror. A good dichro has less than 1% loss on a bounce, though the crappy one's I have from Edmunds loose more like 2-3% on a bounce.

Basically adding one mirror to the beam path will cost you a few percent in total power. Well worth it for the ease of alignment. The only reason I didn't go this route (above) in the first place is that I didn't have the room on the optical table and I didn't have the extra mounts.

If I had it to do over again though, I'd use the above layout. Adjusting those floating tables is a *bitch*. Normally you only have to do it once, unless you have a laser die on you. I've had 3 laser failures, and each time the replacement laser has been slightly different, so at this point I'm tired of those floating tables!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    You loose about 1-2% for every bounce off a broad-band mirror, assuming it's a good mirror. A good dichro has less than 1% loss on a bounce, though the crappy one's I have from Edmunds loose more like 2-3% on a bounce.

Basically adding one mirror to the beam path will cost you a few percent in total power. Well worth it for the ease of alignment. The only reason I didn't go this route (above) in the first place is that I didn't have the room on the optical table and I didn't have the extra mounts.

If I had it to do over again though, I'd use the above layout. Adjusting those floating tables is a *bitch*. Normally you only have to do it once, unless you have a laser die on you. I've had 3 laser failures, and each time the replacement laser has been slightly different, so at this point I'm tired of those floating tables!

Adam
    I have the same problem. I would have to swap out the base plate and completely re-do my layout design.