Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser Mounting-

Default Laser Mounting-

yep-

NEVER AGAIN will i order 3 different lasers from 3 different manufacturers!! all 3 lasers have 3 different beam heights! what do you insanely smart gentlefolk laser masters propose i do to make mounts for these lasers?? any ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

also-
    none of the freaking parts (except for viasho...THANK YOU viasho!!!) line up to standard breadboard drill holes!!! GRRRRR!!!!!

where is everyone getting all of these lovely aluminum pieces for mounting? i have now been to literally 5 different hardware stores...NOTHING. i have been to 3 different machine shops and none of them wanted anything to do with me cuz the job was too small. anyone have some extras??

-Marc

Lightbulb

Heh, I have and do feel your pain. Many cut and tap it themselves... I am even thinking of that. Should be fun to watch. From a distance.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

The Lord said in book 5 chapter 7...."Drill and tap my children!".
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

lol-

i know masta son! BUT- i cant even find nice aluminum stock. where did you guys get your aluminum baseplate pieces??

i figured a hardware store....NOPE.
    machine shop....................NOPE.

grashoppa (me) needs some advice.

-Marc

WHAT? My local metal shop has anything imaginable. They can cut to my dimensions. Right around the corner there is a machine shop that can make anything. From the galvo mounts for the less then half a price of original Cambridge Technology ones to Statue of me 30m high. Around another corner there is a machine shop that specializes in cutting stuff(machine or laser).
    Ask around. It took me some time to find out where to get stuff. But once you found one. They will point you to many good places.

Lightbulb

You can buy that type of stuff off eBay if you need to...

Default Many Roads lead to Rome !!

Having just completed this process...I feel your pain....Fortunately...Both my Blue DPSS and Green DPSS are from Lasever...and the beam height C/L is 25.4mm...now complete paralleism between beam and DPSS head....well...kinda....close....BUT not close enough. I had to use some .02 aluminum foil tape to give the rear end of the green dpss a small boost !!
    I also discovered...that adjustabillity in the X/Y plane is a VERY desireable thing when the time comes to superimpose the beams atop one another...to align in the nearfield !!!....SO....bottom line is there needs to be some slight room for moving the heads left/right !!! Perhaps this has been covered alot in some older post !!!(likely)....
    And drill and tap is the ONLY way to go....Breadboards look GREAT....but I
    bet they are a real PITA to use !!! Yes...you need to find the local fabricators that are willing to work on your small project !!! Unless you have your own MS....or can get " government jobs" done at work !!! Good luck !!

BoB / CDBEAM
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

DOC LASER-

yeah, im searching as we speak. i went to a couple machine shops and they didnt want to deal with "such a small job!"

silly question-

can i have the phone number and name for the place near you that you used? (through PM if you want)

i also (thanks allthatwhich...) sent a couple messages to a couple users on Ebay. looks promising there for some pieces.

also, what i think i may do is cut a piece to fasten completely to the top of my LT1000 (from OSLS) to mount everything to. and not even worry about the breadboard.

BUT-

i am going to have to call Emir (local variance guy) to see if this now alters (which i bleieve it DOES...) the original product report for the LT1000. meaning, if i fasten a 1/4" aluminum plate 24" X 12" to the top of the breadboard, this is now considered a modification and BOOM- another product report will need to be created!!1 (OUCH!!!!)

-Marc

EDIT-
    "cdbeam"-
    yes, i am believing that the pre-drilled breadboards just dont work very well for custom RGB projectors! work great for single laser systems, but NOT for multiple lasers systems.

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    DOC LASER-

yeah, im searching as we speak. i went to a couple machine shops and they didnt want to deal with "such a small job!"

silly question-

can i have the phone number and name for the place near you that you used? (through PM if you want)
    Metal Supermarkets

They have stores all over the NothAmerica and 11 across UK.

metals express and speedy metals. Both great places in the US - reasonable shipping charges and great metal. Look at both of the sites for what you are looking for. One of them had WAY better prices on sheets vs. plates. I found it was cheaper to buy items from both companies rather than just one.