Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RGB theoretical layout (cause I'm bored)

Default RGB theoretical layout (cause I'm bored)

I'm always up to no good when I'm bored - but I was wondering what things you would change if you had to on this design.

It's basically an RGB setup with 7 laser heads. Total output would be 5 watts with the below configuration.

3) MBL-H-473 - 500mW 473nm
    3) MLL-H-671 - 1,000mW 671nm
    1) MLL-H-532 - 500mW 532nm (can be changed a higher power)

I choose these three models from CNI due to their size and weight - beam size is 3mm for each head. I'm waiting for Ava from CNI to get back to me on prices.

So - here is the drawing, done in MS Paint. The squares are PBS cubes, lower section are dichros - others are mirrors.

I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks guys!

Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RGB.jpg  

question .... can you actually do this ??? that is combine more than two lasers per PBS cube .. I thought you could only do two one horizontal polarity and one vertical polarity??
    If you can do it would love to know how so I can do it to.

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

Wont work man - sorry to burst you bubble.

You can ONLY use a PBS cube to join two polarized beams ONCE!

PBS Cubes rely upon the polarized physics of the beam. You use one vertically and one horizontally polarized beams to produce one randomly polarized beam. In your situation you would be paying for three blue lasers and getting only two (in fact less than two due to optical losses) and same deal with the reds.

Although it would be great if it worked this way. I would have a much more awesome set up. Darn physics - always getting in the way of higher powered DPSS laser projectors.

The way Arctos combines beams is by 'stacking' laser beams to create a wider beam but also brighter then uses some lenses to make the beam smaller with a higher divergence.

Another thing to consider is the polarization ratio. Many DPSS lasers have a Pol. Ratio of 100:1 (sometimes less with harder to produce lasers) so in this situation you would lose power from each laser just using a PBS in the first place. The other issue that comes to mind is the fact that it is hard to 'rotate' DPSS lab lasers since they are square, so I am sure it would prove to be very difficult to combine several DPSS lasers in the first place.

Ahhh - this is the fun of the hobby - keep trying, maybe you'll think of some method no one has tried before. In the mean time - we must obey the physics we know - but may not fully understand.

nice drawing tho

Ray - like I said, like arctos does it - it can be done. But you are not combining the beams - merely stacking them. But then you can fall into pits of other issues like for example the beam not fitting onto your mirrors.

Haha - Laserman, no kidding! For MS Paint it looks great!

Yes, completely agree what Max said.
    you can only use one pbs for combine different polarization lasers, after combine with PBS, the S:P=50:50, PBS is let one polarization pass the other reflection, so you will lost half power of the combine beam.
    best regards!
    Bridge
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Physics laws suck!

Okay - so we bump up the power of the reds and blues - would probably cost around the same... Unless I used 457nm modules - a 100mW starts at $4,200! Just a tad to much.

Also, why do the PBS cubes from Newport/Spectra Physics cost a few hundred? Are they better than the ones we're getting here for under $50? or am I paying for a company name and marketing?

Thanks guys! It's great to learn this LONG before it's actually designed.

Hey, Max, I sent you a PM yesterday in regards to the 5.6mm red diode you have/had. I still need to replace this one. I really don't want to play bidding war on eBay.

Phil

Okay - not really a double post...but what the hell is this?

Gottaluvlasers shared this photo with me a couple of weeks ago - it's freakin awesome.

Look at the red section - it looks like a crap load of PBS cubes - but I could be wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOW.jpg  

Actually just one PBS cube to combine the reds. The cube like things you see in front of each diode are just the mirror mounts. That is an arctos projector - like I referred to earlier.

You can see two sections of red diodes. 24 diodes in each section. One section is Horizontally polarized the other vertically. And they are combined through one PBS cube at the end.

I agree - the picture is fricken sweet - it was my desktop for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack
    That is an arctos projector - like I referred to earlier.

Ah! I remember now! I priced these about two years ago - it cost $106,839 at the time and weighed 121 pounds. The Flash10XL cost $115,106 and the FLASH14 was $118,922.

It was at that point I figured I could build one myself for much, much less - but I had a lot to learn before I got to that point. But hey - I could sell my wife's Anheuser-Busch stock and buy one...but my wife would absolutely, positively kill me...and then vaporize my body with the laser.

The specs for that were (and I'm going to type this in as it's listed on the paper I have in front of me)

Laser type: DPSS Rood 650nm, Groen 532nm en Blaue 450nm.
    Kracht: 4.0Watt gegarandeerd wit litch, typisch 5Watt.
    Fan koeling
    Stroomvoorziening: 110-230 Vac/50-60 Hz
    Scanning: CT 6800 X-Y scanners met LaserAnimation high speed driver. Scanner safety circuit met instelbaar actief venster.
    Afmetingen: 615mm (L) x 270mm (D) x 240mm (H)
    Gewicht: 55kg
    FLASH 10 is een niew diode laser systeem met enn kracht die vergelijkbaar is met een 15Watt Ion Mixed Gas systeem.
    Super compact en ongeloofelijk krachtig, geschikt voor indoor gebruix zoals clubs of voor adverterings doeleinden.
    Last edited by godfrey; 03-11-2008 at 22:13.