Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY multiwatt 532nm?

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Steve's 6-7 watt 110V green medical yag

=========== 2 KW xenon pump lamp

( Q ======= I ! LBO ) -----------532--------

HR Q yag iris IM LBO OC

Q = qswitch. I = SMALL IRIS ! = intermediate mirror.

The YAG rod lases at 1064 between the HR and the Intermediate Mirror , with a AO qswitch at Q.
    A iris limits the mode and controls beam diameter. The LBO sets at the TEM beam waist from the IR cavity, the HR reflects IR back at the LBO causing a overlapping second waist creating more power but passes green. A opposite curve built into the HR collimates the green. The LBO is angle tuned about a axis looking into the monitor by a computer but is not in a oven. CW power is about 500-700 mW at full lamp current, 6-7 watts Q switched at full lamp in service mode. Designed to deliver 2-3 watts all day via a very small fiber. No V fold either. Some have simple spinning disk q switches instead of AO.

beam comes out very small and collimated.

mine has a dead lamp power supply, but I'm working on that. No expensive pump diode, and lamps are about 150$ each and rated at 400-600 hours. Design is patented by the French.

12-20 nS pulses at 24 khz. qswitch is not great for graphics unless you know the trick Patrick Murphy came up with, change the speed of each sucessive frame a few %. Ie 29.5K 30K 29.5K 30K Fills in the dashes :-) I've ran graphics off a CVL before this way.

My medical buddy has a pile of them working in his barn, but wants 5-6K$ a piece. most of them out there are 220 single phase,and are the rough size of a two drawer standard filing cabinet. Cooling is a water to air closed loop system, external water is a option.

Questions? :-)
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-09-2008 at 15:40.

got any pics? sound interesting;-)

lex

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

The university LSO in Texas could seize your laser if you brought it on campus.
    Texas has a pretty nasty laser licensing program. I'd be very weary of borrowing/using university gear, and I work at one. University LSOs rarely work with lasers themselves, but like to enforce rules.

Easier way, weakly focus the fiber into a thin chunk of yag, measure the pass through 808 light out of the yag using a prism to seperate the 1064 flourescense, slowly adjust TE power up or down a bit. I think that would work. I've bought a few fiber coupled "808" diodes that were NOT what they say they are. I have given up on buying them on the bay, as many are 870 nm or 920 for erbium fiber amps. caveat emptor!

Steve

Only thing is that if you don't have a $6K fiber coupler that is able to hold the polorisation of the pump source, you will give up around 50% or more of your pump power. I have this on good word from someone here that has been there,done that. So I have to regroup my plans and try for another route with the big diode. Not giving up,just restructuring the laser....again.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Talking working towards serious 532 and 473

I have endeavored to get some serious wattage in the green and blue I have obtained 2 fiber lasers at 808nm a 35 watt and a 70 watt spectra physics fiber laser packages with an FC 800um fiber core I am looking at a couple of newport collimating lenses I have found some large commercially mounted KTP in a gold plated holder with water nozzles. I am going to try to mount on copper block with a peltier between it and a fan cooled aluminum heatsink I have picked up some wavelength TE controllers for under a hundred each I am looking at retrofitting a used coherent LBO heater for THG of UV and replacing with my large 3x5x15 LBO thats cut for SHG 914 to 473 instead with this other LBO. I have just obtained a thin disk peltier cooled YVO4 crystal coated for blue 914, which I am going to pump with the 70 watt fiber laser since it is less efficient than my green set up using an end pumped YVO4 I have a lot of work ahead of me getting all the v-fold cavity and optics heaters cooling and my power supplies together and building a large mosfet modulation control for both power supplies. whew! I am obsessed that I will achieve fruition in the next 90 days any persons that can help me with optical design would be a godsend the fiber lasers are going to hopefully really simplify things as well as servicing if a diode laser fails or I want to upgrade the power of my pump laser. The thin disk supplier claims the YVO4 is good for up to 100watts pumping at 808nm ye haw! If pigs had wings they would fly so can I or die trying! Dreaming of big lasers! If I can get 20%+ conversion efficiency or even close to that that from my 70 watt 808nm pump to the 473nm blue output I will die happy!

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Texas has a pretty nasty laser licensing program. I'd be very weary of borrowing/using university gear, and I work at one. University LSOs rarely work with lasers themselves, but like to enforce rules.

Easier way, weakly focus the fiber into a thin chunk of yag, measure the pass through 808 light out of the yag using a prism to seperate the 1064 flourescense, slowly adjust TE power up or down a bit. I think that would work. I've bought a few fiber coupled "808" diodes that were NOT what they say they are. I have given up on buying them on the bay, as many are 870 nm or 920 for erbium fiber amps. caveat emptor!

Steve
    no doubt on the not AS DESCRIBED FIBER LASERS, I have just had experience with a ebay seller spectralaser who has 100% feedback that I may blemish sending me a opto power corp supposed 808nm fiber laser after taking a close look at its model number and contacting spectra laser support who assimilated opto power corp and is now a subsidiary of newport, I found it to be a 830nm model, I never even opened box and I just slapped it back to el cerrito california a lot of these laser are at 838nm and apparently are used for production of IR for engraving, photolithograph/ platemaking printing and welding through a fiber lens, one must watch out for these Xsses who are wanting to move this stuff under auspices of it being a viable DPSS pump many of these coherent FAP packages ( in particular pntechretails? on spelling @ ebay) ,have burned or cut fibers that require some serious fiber polishing equipment to ever use again these also need some rather pricy fibers not to mention lenses a good 30-40 watt rig is going to run 300-400 plus 100 for fiber and 100-300 for a fiber lens not to mention a power supply a thermoelectric controller to temp tune wave length peltier and fan or water cooled heat sink, not for the weak of heart ! I am always sure when ebaying to employ a double safety net allowing paypal not as described protections with redundant credit card chargeback if that does not rectify any unresolved issues!

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

Steve
    Yes that was my experience cold calling the physics labs at UT Austin Texas but I started googling the physics chair holders and got in touch with a cool physics professor, a Dr. Bengston. he sounded open minded about entertaining a spectroscopy and some design feedback while things were slower during summer, a lab instructor I called first gave me some patriot act bullshit. Whew! my recent exp with home land security is that my public bus was hit by a apparent mole an arabic guy apparently a plant in some local group of arabic persons who rear ended our bus and blamed our bus driver minutes later a guy in a oily holey steelers t shirt showed up and some arab lady with a camera I thought the guy was an attorney for the guy that hit us, or possibly his insurance agent I heard the guy in the steelers shirt get on a radio and call off our local police from responding to the accident which kind of freaked me out then he asked the bus companies wrecker driver for their service dept if he would take a $10,000 check for damages to the bus from the us government then he gets on the bus and divides the four passengers I being one and questions us about whether we might have any medical issues I ask the guy who the hell he was to be cornering me like he was without identifying himself and he flips out a homeland security badge Jesus our taxes are doing so much good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!