Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 free Pangolin shows

Thumbs up 4 free Pangolin shows

Hey guys;

I just finished uploading 4 Pangolin shows to the Photonlexicon FTP server. Two of the shows will run on either a QM-32 or the newer QM-2000 board, while the other two will only run on the QM-2000.

There are two graphics shows and two beam shows. If you've been to any of the Laser Enthusiast's Meetings here in the US you've probably already seen some of these shows. The shows are:

Clocks - graphics/abstract show (QM-32 or QM-2000)
    Pop Music - beam show (QM-32 or QM-2000 - see text file in archive)
    Trancentral - beam show (QM-2000 only)
    Why - graphics show (QM-2000 only)

They are all shows that I've created myself. Feel free to use and or modify them as you see fit. (The "Why" show in particular has some text at the end that introduces a particular DJ who is also a member of PL... You may want to change that to insert your favorite DJ's name.)

I meant to upload these a long time ago, but I guess I never got around to it. The archives are complete and ready to run. (Be sure to check the text files for more details on each show.) Hope you like them!

Adam

PS: I'll be uploading them to Cruch's server later this afternoon. But they're live on the PL server right now.

Hey Adam
    I guess Pop music is the one on the DVD of stuff you mailed me - Great song - I have always liked it from when it first came out and I love the show too - probably my most played show up to now with the QM.
    Cheers Pal - when I get round to learning this pangolin lark I will post some shows up to now all I do is spend hours playing with abstracts - which as you may gather I love! Still doing stuff with Mamba and I have had a look at showtime and though I have no doubt ST is infinitely more powerful than MB I just love the simplicity & intuitiveness (made up word) of the German product. Im not giving out on it yet!

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Cool

Rob;

Yeah, that's the same show. I edited it for the QM-2000 version to make it a little less harsh on the galvos. The original QM-32 version of the Pop Music show has an abstract in it that's really hard on the galvos. So I yanked it out when I re-edited the show on the LD-2000. Otherwise though, it's the same show.

The Trancentral beam show is really great, but unfortunately it will only run on a QM-2000. It's the first show I've ever made where I ran into the "Max number of timeline effects" limit in Pangolin! Yeah, turns out you can't have more than 600 effects in a single scene. Not a big deal, since all I had to do was to add another scene, but it's the first time I had to do that in the middle of a song! (Well, it was towards the end of the song, but it's less than 4 minutes long!) It's a great show though. (Well, I think it is anyway!)

Adam

Would love to be able to watch them - I need to upgrade from the FB3

if only they workedon the FB3
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Cheers Adam.
    It's great to see that folks are producing their own shows.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    if only they workedon the FB3

can someone explain why these show cannot run on FB3.Is it a limitation of the hardware FB3 board or we need to make some adjustments to these shows to make it compatible to running with FB3.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    can someone explain why these show cannot run on FB3.Is it a limitation of the hardware FB3 board
    No shows run on the FB3 unless it has been loaded into the flashcard via software. The show runs in the software on the host PC which outputs to the FB3 or loads to the flash card on the FB3. My understanding is that these format shows can be outputted to the FB3 but only from showtime in LD2000. (corrections to this statement welcome) The LA Studio software does not recognise the LDxxxx format shows so cannot output to the FB3 when running in this configutation.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    or we need to make some adjustments to these shows to make it compatible to running with FB3.
    Just need to buy LD2000

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Cool

Actually, I believe the FB3 will also run in frame buffer mode (without the flash card) when connected to a PC running the LA Studio Showrider software.

However, in either case, the problem is that the file formats that the FB3 can display are limited to either standard ILDA files, or the custom files created by Showrider. And those custom Showrider files are not compatible with the LD-2000 software.

The Pangolin QM-2000 board uses a different file format that has built-in file security. As such, it's difficult to convert the file to any other format. If you have the pro version of LD 2000, you can save the entire show as a stream of ILDA files which could then be loaded into another player (like Showrider) and played. But this is cumbersome. You end up with a very large ilda file.

This is a common problem with all laser controllers. They each have their own proprietary format for storing cues, effects, etc, on the show timeline. The only true universal file format is ILDA, but then you have to have a constant stream of frames from begining to end.

Some people think that these proprietary formats are bad, but in the case of the secure file format that the QM-2000 board uses, there is actually a good reason behind it's development: Content protection. Because the file is secure, it allows artists to create and sell shows without fear that their work will be pirated by others.

Adam

Complete ILDA files are large but are very compressible. A 40 meg ILDA file will compress down to a few megs usually. So, size really isn't an issue at all. It would be great if the shows were in ILDA format so that more people could see them.