Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet proof Pangolin ?

Exclamation Bullet proof Pangolin ?

Beware the adjustment on a LM358 set in a gain circuit for modulation. I had it set....I thought.....to a low enough point. It heated the green signal lead going to the FB3 ! It was drawing wayyyyyyy tooo much to trigger the output!!! Lucky for me I didn't kill anything. Watch out on your home built modulation circuits. Just a note to say how well the Pangolin products are made. They have compensated for the accidents it seems.. Bill covers about all the bases!! DAC chips are fine......even though I made one of them very angry.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

What circuit were you using,

Sounds like you had something wired incorrectly!
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Were you using like 38guage wire? You can put 10A through the wire that comes with the FB3 with no problems at all! In fact, my SDL820 Driver uses 22Ga wire for the 10A and 5A circuits. I believe that there would be much worse problems if the wires were getting hot, perhaps they could have been sitting on something hot or had hot air blowing on them.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

My FB3 crashes every time I fire my fogger :-( It doesn't like power supply noise at all, it seems. Poor thing :-(

I had the same problems with an EasyLase and my cheap old 30 EUR fog machine.
    Since I have my new Antari fogger nothing ever crashed.
    You can either try to connect the power supply of the fogger to a different phase
    or go and buy a new one. (Buying cheap means buying expensive in the end )

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    My FB3 crashes every time I fire my fogger :-( It doesn't like power supply noise at all, it seems. Poor thing :-(
    Hi Heroic,

We would like to explore this further and find out what is happening, and if there is a way to solve it. We have plenty of bulk decoupling on the FB3, so this really shouldn't be happening. It makes me wonder if you have some kind of "coupling" going on there, and that's what is causing the problem.

If you could contact us, and send a written description of the system, along with a few pictures of the entire setup and how it is wired, we will ponder it and get back to you.

Best regards,

William Benner

Well, I put a scope on the power rail of the FB3, and it looks like the fogger is just injecting a whole bunch of filth on there. I'm not surprised the FB3 is crashing- it's not reasonable to expect it to do anything else. The fogger's filth is also managing to get past the input filters on my Mackie SRM350 sound reinforcement monitors, so you can see, it's not a problem with the FB3.

I'm not really sure what to do about this other than "buy a better fogger"... I tried snap-on ferrites and that didn't help. Still, I got this fogger from a friend for $50 so I'm not *too* bent out of shape that it doesn't work well.

-J.

Hi heroic,

I might be talking out of my rear end here, would a plug-in surge protector help on the fogger power lead ?

André

Quote Originally Posted by Onge View Post
    Hi heroic,

I might be talking out of my rear end here, would a plug-in surge protector help on the fogger power lead ?

André
    Hi Andre,

I tried it, but it didn't help very much- whereas the fogger was causing the laser to go into STOP mode every time I hit it without it, with the surge protector it was doing it about one in three times- which isn't really good enough.

Foggers, Dry Ice machine, bubble machines and so on MUST BE on another phase of distro box or at least on another breaker then all computerized gear.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!