Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum cabinets...

Lightbulb Aluminum cabinets...

I don't want to make any of the others angry at me for posting this. But if there is an interest in aluminum cabinets....well I have a few vendors caught in a price war. The size of the cabinets are to be as follows.......
    Front/back panels 16" X 8" X .187"
    Top / bottom panels 16" X 12" X .187"
    End panels 8" X 12" X .250"
    This will give adequate space for a 1.5 Watt RGB and all the components needed to be installed inside. Careful planning is a must. The estimated cost of the 6061 T-6 is around 1197.00 the estimated costs of having the pieces cut on the CNC laser is 384.00. This will provide ILDA connector port, Aperture opening, machine screw holes in side and front panels,A/C power input socket,and fan openings. Air inlets to be determined as this comes to life....if it does. This price reflects a purchase of a 4'X8' sheet of 3/16" and 4'X4' sheet of 1/4". This will yield 12 cabinets at a cost of 131.75 each cabinet. This is not including shipping and drill/tapping of the holes for the machine screws...suggested #6/32 socket head capscrew. This is just an estimate....I will have a better nailing of the prices and shipping if enough interest is shown. This should still be well under 175 per case to your door in the states. Well that is how it is looking from here. I can get one unit like this already to assemble, anodized for less than this. But the aperture hole and fan holes must be cut...Lets just start here and see what happens. I can also get enough .4375" plates made up for the beam table. Simply use a length of angle alu to affix to the interior of the side panels at the desired elevation.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Question

How close will this look compared to yours? Does this include boards for "levels"? I might be interested.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

do you have a design you want? window opening, dsub knockouts etc?

I have already drawn up a proven design...all cutouts as mentioned. The program is ready to export to the CNC machine's slave. I'll see how many are wanting one before I make an order.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    How close will this look compared to yours? Does this include boards for "levels"? I might be interested.
    It is almost identical except for a few minor details.....and a little larger.Only one inch in each exterior dimension. I can get plenty of 7/16 plate for the beam table....aka upper level.

BTW I have a manu that is offering an A/R coated apeture lense for this project at a very attractive price of 28/each. It is 60mm in diameter. They are mounted and only need to cut the hole to accept it.
    Last edited by MechEng3; 03-20-2008 at 16:21.

Well it seems as though the other GB for enclosures is going to be a bust so If I may I would like to jump aboard this one. I am looking for 3 enclosures, 2 for 1 watt viasho green lasers, and 1 for an RGB. These will be large enough I hope.

Weel that comes to a starting point. However long it takes to get enough to sign up....I am in for 2 myself. Lets just see how many are wanting to go this route.

Question

How many do you need to be interested?

I have calculated the materials and costs above for 12 cases. It can be split in multiples of 6 to make the materials come around to the least possible waste. I will get all the costs nailed down to a few dollars if this comes alive. The cases could ship in as little as 3 weeks if everyone takes enough to get the 12 units. The more hat is done...the cheaper they will get. Shipping is horrid on metals. I will have it delivered to the fab shop to be cut. We will get a discount for shipping to a "dock" and not a residence. Typically the aluminum cabinets are 4 to 6 times the costs of a steel unit. These need to be high quality without the high overhead. Lets just see where it goes from here....I can have this rolling to production at the drop of a phone call to place the order.

maybe you could postsome pictures of your design, i bet more people would be interested then