Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffo, You da Man

Talking Buffo, You da Man

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the Winamp help! I finally got it working. Now I have to
    get my projector back together to see it in laser. Have you ever adjusted
    the frame rate slider? It's set now to around 94 FPS which seems a bit fast to me.

Mark

Cool

Hi Mark;

Hehe! Glad to help! Frame rate slider? Hmmm. Never even noticed that control. I coudn't tell you what mine is set at. (Though I agree, 94 frames per second sounds *way* to high!) My guess is that something in the neighborhood of 24-30 fps would be just fine.

Here's another neat trick you can try: press <ctrl>-L to bring up the "open URL" requester. Then type in "//linein:" (without the quotes) and hit return. This is one of the built-in plug-ins that comes with Winamp.

Now Winamp should be monitoring the line-in jack on your sound card. The beat detection should still work. Hook up your i-pod or portable CD player to the line-in jack just so you have some audio on the port. See if you get the spectrum analyzer in Winamp to respond. If so, then *great*! You can now use that any time you want to sync the AVS Laser Visualiser to a live source of music.

If it doesn't work, don't despair just yet. The plug-in that is built-in to Winamp isn't compatible with all sound hardware. Go to the Winamp website and download one of the other line-in plug-ins. (The one I grabbed uses //line: instead of //linein: for the port name.) Some of these work better than the built-in one that comes with Winamp. So give them a try.

If you *still* can't get the line-in monitor to work, then you'll probably have to install a dedicated sound card in the machine and disable any on-board audio that the machine has. (This is the route I had to take.) Once you do that, then you should be fine, even if you only use the built-in linein plug-in that comes with Winamp.

But it's *great* to be able to run it that way. It will sync up to any audio source - even a live mic - and control the projector in time to the beat. I know that you sometimes do lasers for live DJ gigs... If the DJ willlet you pull a set of RCA cables from the main mixer to your laser computer, then you've got a fully automatic beamshow ready to go! (Of course, if you have LivePro, then you can do a whole lot more... But even without LivePro, the Winam Laser Visualiser plug-in is *damn* cool.)

Don't forget that you can assign different visualizer presets to hot keys and then punch them up on-the-fly while it's running. Also, you can have showtime live loaded in the background while you're running the winamp laser visualizer plug in. Just make sure you hit escape on showtime live first (which blanks the lasers and drops the shutter) before you alt-tab to get to the winamp window. Then hit ctrl-shift-K to start the plug-in, and *bam*, you're running the AVS laser visualiser. When you want to switch back to showtime live, just close the AVS window, then alt-tab to showtime live and click on a frame (or hit a hot key) and you're off and running with showtime again! (Yeah, it's that easy!)

I can see this being a *huge* benefit for someone like yourself that does commercial shows... This way you can set it on auto for a while (using the laser visualizer and the line-in input) so you can shift in your seat, stand up, stretch, take a drink, or do whatever... It gives you a break from mashing buttons or clicking on icons constantly!

I wouldn't leave it running unattended though. You've still got a responsibility to the crowd to make sure nothing bad happens (like your projector stand falling over or something), but it should give you a bit of a rest, while injecting some variation into your show. Give it a try...

Adam

I though that the winamp visualizer plugin came with live pro. Am I mistaken? 'cause if there's a way to get ahold of it (for the lowly fb3 user), I'd love to play with it!
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Cool

It comes with LD-2000 (all versions), not Live Pro. Live Pro has it's own beat syncronizer, and you can do a bunch of cool things with it as well. (Probably can do much more with it than you can with the Winamp plugin, even.) But the winamp plug-in is only designed to talk to the QM-2000 board, not the FB3.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

I can see this being a *huge* benefit for someone like yourself that does commercial shows...
    Hey Adam,

I no longer do commercial shows since I left the planetarium gig many
    years ago. I just have this crazy need/habit to see photons as a
    hobby now. Yes, I love the light. There I said it

Mr. Coffee, apparently some customers had the plug in with their version of FB3 - that was a mistake and only happened with a few of the copies I wish I was one of them

Hi ,
    Just becuse the winamp plug-in, didn"t come with your software,doesn"t mean you can"t look around and find it.(PL server). It DOES work with FB3, and it is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? I didn't know they'd released a version for the FB3! That's great news!

Seriously, the Winamp laser visualisation plug-in is one of the features that I have the most fun with. It's really great.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by whitcher88 View Post
    Hi ,
    Just becuse the winamp plug-in, didn"t come with your software,doesn"t mean you can"t look around and find it.(PL server). It DOES work with FB3, and it is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just took a look on the servers (swap and pl), but the dll are missing...
    Does anybody erased them?

I am willing they were removed due to copyright violations. Sharing software like that would be illegal as defined by the EULA.

-Max