Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LaserBoy is now Open Source

Default Using LaserBoy

Assuming you get all this going...

You get:

./laserboy
    ./display
    ./project

The first application, ./laserboy is the development environment.

The next one, ./display shows LaserBoy wave files on the display.
    Use it by calling it followed by the path to the wave file.
    There is a set of [optional] binary switches that may follow the file path like this:

[root]# ./display waves/zippy.wav 1 1 1 0 0 1

Notice, there are spaces between the digits!
    This set of switches would result in the program starting with these settings:

show_points : yes
    show_blanks : yes
    real_time : yes
    inverted : no
    no_blank : no
    no_ezfb_buffer : yes

You can experiment with what each of these features does.

Also, note at the top of the scroll, when you issue this command. There is a header of information printed into the console about the wave file you just opened.

num_samples : 2756457
    sample_rate : 48000
    ez_wave_mode : positive signal
    end of frame marks
    unique frame marks
    unique point marks
    num_channels : 6
    bits_per_sample : 16
    playing time : 57.4262 seconds
    offset[0] : 0
    offset[1] : 0
    offset[2] : 0
    offset[3] : 0
    offset[4] : 0
    offset[5] : 0

This information comes from the header of a LaserBoy generated wave file. The standard wave file format allows for additional chunks of information to be stored there.

I added a structure of information to the wave header for LaserBoy. It contains the time shift in samples between the individual tracks. This is what makes it possible to do scanner to color-mod time synchronization. It also contains information about subcode marks.

LaserBoy makes waves with 0 time shift.

The next program, ./project is what reads the wave file, imposes a time shift (if necessary) and (if possible) pushes it out the sound card. It doesn't really matter if your Linux system doesn't know how to write to a sound device. It will still complete the process and leave you with a shifted wave.

[root]# ./project waves/zippy.wav 0 0 -5 -5 -5 -5

This call asks for a difference of 5 samples between channels {1, 2} and {3, 4, 5, 6}. Thus the X and Y information in track 1 and 2 would arive 5 samples before the R, G, B and I signals that control the color, in tracks 3, 4, 5 and 6. The entire wave file is ripped through and re-written with this shift imposed on the data. Since this shift information is stored in the header of the file it can be undone and re-done. Once it is done, it's in the file and therefore can be played from any wave player in any OS.

The program ./display knows how to read and un-shift a LaserBoy wave on-the-fly for proper viewing. The program ./laserboy knows how to read, unshift and re-frame LaserBoy wave files. Subcode information is stored in the least significant bits of the color tracks so that LaserBoy waves can be completely reversed back into 2D point stripped, optimized laser vector art.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 03-24-2008 at 12:10.

Wow, this is good news but very complex for us non-linux persons!
    Can't the program be downloaded ready to go inside one of those nifty linux ISO's so that we lazy/ignorant people can burn it and just go!

Default An easer way...

Hey! I'm all for it. But this approach works with all free stuff, so it is probably worth your effort.

Actually, for a Windows user, this is most likely what you would want as a working installation, because it places all of the important stuff on your Windows drive. You can use all of the files that you make in any way you want and you can place ILDA, DXF, BMP and other file types in that location and they will be available to open in LaserBoy.

A nice feature of MS VirtualPC is that you can save the state of your virtual machine. That is to say, you can freeze it, right where it is, and shut down the whole computer. The next time you start up your computer in Windows, you don't need to completely reboot Knoppix. You can just load its frozen image into ram and go from where you left it.

James.

Smile Survey question

Just out of curiosity, has anyone out there gotten this to work?

Anything to report?

James.

Default Where I am right now with hardware.

Just in case anyone is paying attention to this thread, I am now using an Echo Layla 24/96 internal/external PCI sound device. It works great in both MS Windows and Linux. There is also a PCMCIA card interface that connects to the outboard portion of this sound device. It is essentially a computer-based ADAT machine. It has 8 balanced analog ins and outs and ADAT LightPipe in & out. Since it was designed for professional audio applications, it already has differential outputs naturally centered around zero volts and more than enough gain to drive ILDA projection systems directly. All I had to do was jump the output caps. (I got the schematics and the OK from Echo Audio). There are NO outboard electronics required at all. I can now do 24 bit color at 96KHz! There are other devices out there now that can do 192KHz! One of the things I want to do next is translate all of the old ADAT tapes into fresh, clean, digital vetor art!

Weeeeeeeee!

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 03-25-2008 at 01:26.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    Just in case anyone is paying attention to this thread, I am now using an Echo Layla 24/96 internal/external PCI sound device. It works great in both MS Windows and Linux. There is also a PCMCIA card interface that connects to the outboard portion of this sound device. It is essentially a computer-based ADAT machine. It has 8 balanced analog ins and outs and ADAT LightPipe in & out. Since it was designed for professional audio applications, it already has differential outputs naturally centered around zero volts and more than enough gain to drive ILDA projection systems directly. All I had to do was jump the output caps. (I got the schematics and the OK from Echo Audio). There are NO outboard electronics required at all. I can now do 24 bit color at 96KHz! There are other devices out there now that can do 192KHz! One of the things I want to do next is translate all of the old ADAT tapes into fresh, clean, digital vetor art!

Weeeeeeeee!

James.
    Echo makes excellent cards... i had some at my old job and never had any issues with them...

ive been thinking about making a vpc linux image on my laptop to use this there (since this is more "portable" than the pangolin stuff) but alas, no time

I have always liked the idea of using a sound card and wav files. I would be interested in using your code that converts an ilda file to a wav file. I could use that as another file export type.

How much does the Layla card cost? It sounds expensive. The thing I liked about using a sound card is that it is cheaper than the dedicated laser show DACs you can buy.

they cost about $100~$200 on ebay

although in theory you could use 4 cheap sound cards... or maybe we can find a way of sending the audio to a "7.1" sound card...

Default It only takes one cheap sound card.

There are many cheap sound cards out there that can do 6 or 8 channels. There are chips made by VIA and by C-Media that work great in Linux and Windows. The picture of the sound card on my LaserBoy website cost me $7. It is a C-Media 8738 chip that does 6 channels. And that was more than 3 years ago.

http://www.akrobiz.com/laserboy/p_laserboy_35.html

This is another card I modified. It gives me 8 channels.
    http://www.akrobiz.com/laserboy/soundcard.jpg
    http://www.akrobiz.com/laserboy/outboard.jpg

C-Media chips invert the singnal, so positive 16 bit integers come out as negative voltages. VIA chips do not. So I covered this in my playback software. Both of these chips require outboard voltage offset correction and gain.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    I have always liked the idea of using a sound card and wav files. I would be interested in using your code that converts an ilda file to a wav file. I could use that as another file export type.

How much does the Layla card cost? It sounds expensive. The thing I liked about using a sound card is that it is cheaper than the dedicated laser show DACs you can buy.
    very cool, talk about a cheap dac!

hrmm, i have some "7.1" channel USB sound cards... laptop setup anyone?