Thread: Paramount's Pink Floyd illegal show???

Default ***********************

not going to say another word on the subject ever again
    Last edited by VJ AIWAZ; 03-26-2008 at 03:11.

I don't know about that particular show, seems iffy to me considering the chandelier shooting particularly - since it would be pretty hard to gain an accurate MPE level measurement for that. But hey, I sure as hell hope they did!

I responded the same way when Roger Waters came through Milwaukee last summer. There was a bunch of crowd scanning, it was very interesting and fun to see, but I had no idea how they were doing it legally. Bill might be the guy to chime in here, if he's had something to do with the production, I am sure its legal

Last edited by VJ AIWAZ; 03-26-2008 at 03:10.

Sounds like someone who was talked a lot about recently here on the forums. Apparently it was a signature of sorts for him to hit moving light mirrors with the beams.

-Max

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

ILDA member George Dodworth did the Roger waters tour- everything was on the up and up-
    (failsafe scanning- measurements etc )

I am unaware though if paramount has a audience scanning varience- this is all new to most us companies, and additional requirements in hardware must be met-

my bet is they don't-

however-

without having witnessed the effects for myself, I'll have to avoid comment at this time-
    go big or go home

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

also, as far as someone saying they have had a scanning varience for a while-?
    it's only been within the last year and a half that limited companies have been able to do
    this- and in conjunction with failsafe technologies available from Bill Benner-

There is one company I know of- and only one- that still retains a audience scanning varience
    which was "grandfathered" before the ban- and has had it about 20 years-

and its not Paramount-

Have they revised their varience - and have approval? We'll look and see-
    go big or go home

Hi guys,

I have communicated with Ryan Waters -- the laserist who did the show. He had a few things to say about this post, and also about his impression of VJ AIWAZ. Apparently there was an exchange at the show -- or at least, enough of one to communicate that apparently VJ AIWAZ uses Merlin software... (so, in other words, not just "hey buddy how's it going")

Anyway, Ryan feels that VJ AIWAZ has unfairly categorized the show, and the effects present. Moreover, Ryan says that the NYC LSO (laser safety officer for New York) was present during the entire show. And lastly, Ryan reminded me just how hard it is to do anything with lasers in New York because, you not only need a variance from CDRH, but also a separate certification from New York (so called code-rule 50 if memory serves).

Anyway, since the rest of us weren't present, I think we can't really pass judgement on this show, or what VJ AIWAZ thinks he saw.

In any event, I do think that it is important to be very careful when discussing this, that, or the other thing in a public forum.

Incidentally, while at Prolight, I saw a number of moving light fixtures on the top of the LOBO booth. These moving lights were performing laser-like effects, and essentially scanning the audience (along with the real lasers that were also scanning the audience). At first I thought those heads were also moving head lasers, and if it could fool me, it could fool anyone. I am not sure if this is what VJ AIWAZ saw or not, but it just goes to show you that... well... you just never know.

Best regards,

William Benner

Lightbulb

Thanks Bill! I was kinda worried about where this thread may go. Sorry VJ AIWAZ, I think we should all think twice about talking shitte in a thread without evidence (video), and definatly not call it illegal without some footage. There is thread around here basically doing the same thing but it had video. We could all see how unsafe it was, but here we are only going with hersay...

I wasn't sure if you meant Ryan's show or not so I didn't post before. I went to the show in Lakeland, FL twice, (Thank you Bill!) and there were some HD video projectors that went into the audience that make me squint and think, "Was that a beam?". We had spoken with Ryan before the show and he talked about the HD projectors so I knew they weren't, but they certainly were convincing to me.

Again, I feel Bill is very wise in stating we may want to watch what we post a little more. One of us could not only get ourself in trouble, but also our generous benefactor.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    ILDA member George Dodworth did the Roger waters tour- everything was on the up and up-
    (failsafe scanning- measurements etc )
    Yeah, I knew they had to be doing it legally. But that was in the beginning of my time here at PL, and I still thought that it was hands down illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi guys,

I have communicated with Ryan Waters -- the laserist who did the show. He had a few things to say about this post, and also about his impression of VJ AIWAZ. Apparently there was an exchange at the show -- or at least, enough of one to communicate that apparently VJ AIWAZ uses Merlin software... (so, in other words, not just "hey buddy how's it going")

Anyway, Ryan feels that VJ AIWAZ has unfairly categorized the show, and the effects present. Moreover, Ryan says that the NYC LSO (laser safety officer for New York) was present during the entire show. And lastly, Ryan reminded me just how hard it is to do anything with lasers in New York because, you not only need a variance from CDRH, but also a separate certification from New York (so called code-rule 50 if memory serves).

Anyway, since the rest of us weren't present, I think we can't really pass judgement on this show, or what VJ AIWAZ thinks he saw.
    Bill I agree completely. Thats why I said in my first post that I don't know the show and you would be the one who we should talk to regarding this particular show.

I do agree, NY is very picky and usually everything is in line. But I will say I have seen laser shows in NY that were definitely not legal even though an LSO was present. That is unless you think scanning a beam in to the landing pattern for LGA and JFK is safe. Sometimes LSOs seem not to mind as long as the static beams move very rapidly. Take it for what its worth