Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Micrometer Optic Stages

Cool

Damn fine work there, Jem! I'm impressed! How much space did you need to set that up?

Adam

Brilliant Jem
    I know you didnt want the circle but I think it adds to the effect in an artistic way. Looks bloody great.
    Keep up the good work and keep us informed

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

LOL-

yeah rob, i almost fell outta my chair when i first read your post!! i was all sorts of confused. i coulda SWORN you said you got them and loved em! now im reading that you were disappointed. anyway, all good now...i suck at punctuation also. so, i know how it goes.

glad you got them, glad you like em, and im glad i got you to spend more $$ now to get you into holography!!! LOL...

make a hologram of a laser projector. (can we say, "REDUNDANT?") hehehehe...

-Marc

JEM-
    freakin AWESOME hologram!!! i tried holography quite a few years ago and NEVER got any results.
    one of these days, i gotta try again!!
    Last edited by gottaluvlasers; 04-18-2008 at 13:04. Reason: i forgot-

hehehehe sorry mate and I will never have a redundant projector. Never.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

lol-

i meant redundant because of using a laser, to take a picture of a laser...
    aah, nevermind...my attempt at humor was lost!! DAMNIT!!!

time for a beer!

-Marc

sorry - Im normally sharper than that - honest. Its been a long week

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Damn fine work there, Jem! I'm impressed! How much space did you need to set that up?

Adam
    Hi Adam

Surprisingly little space actually. Only about three feet of workbench, the rest of the bench is taken up with my projector which is currently in bits awaiting the return of my blue laser (that's another story ).

I used a simple Denisyuk setup to make a single beam reflection hologram which replays in white light. Basically I pointed the (C315m, single longitudinal mode) laser through a spatial filter and at a collimating mirror, the clean, collimated expanded beam reflection hits the plate at brewsters angle, the object, in this case coins, is placed directly behind the plate. The beam hitting the plate forms the reference beam, whilst the beam that passes through the plate hits the object (which has been placed behind the plate) and gets reflected back towards the plate thus forming the object beam.

The only downside of this setup is that the beam ratios are 'wrong' and you have more light hitting the plate than the object. It's therefore not always easy to get very bright holograms unless the object is reflective and close to the plate. Having said all that, Denisyuk holograms are very robust and do not suffer quite as much from lack of stability in the setup. There's no way you would be able to make a split beam hologram on a standard workbench!

I'm desperate to get hold of a decent sized optical breadboard (5' x 3' ish) so I can do some split beam setups and get the beam ratios correct and get the required stability. If anyone knows where one is going cheap

Beware though - Holography IS addictive and is yet another bottomless money pit .

I love holography, there's nothing quite like seeing the hologram appear after the development stage... almost as exciting as beams from my projector

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Cool

Truly awesome, Jem. I've toyed with the notion of getting into holography myself, but each time I'm stopped by the high cost of a laser with a decent coherence length. (Well, not to mention all the other costs!)

Maybe some day though...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I'm stopped by the high cost of a laser with a decent coherence length. (Well, not to mention all the other costs!)
    Adam

Take a look here

http://www.holokits.com/hologram_diode_laser.htm

Admittably not the best in the world but good enough to get started

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Careful Adam, its a trap to rid you of any remaining money.

Rob