Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Micrometer Optic Stages

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Careful Adam, its a trap to rid you of any remaining money.

Rob

That's truer than you can imagine Rob. Sadly, I was caught in the holography trap some time ago, and believe me, it's just as big a money pit as projectors. You either need great facilities for making bits and pieces yourself - as in a full machine shop. Or, you need to dig deep and buy the proper stuff, there is no inbetween

To progress beyond the very basics you need some essential pieces of kit and these don't come cheap. You can save money by using a sand table for stability, but sand and expensive optics don't mix very well. I've tried doing things on the cheap and just ended up wasting loads of money. I would have been much better off just getting the proper stuff in the first place.

If ever you fancy having a go just give me a call and pop across the Pennines one Saturday or Sunday ;-)

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Smile

Jem;

Yeah, you've got a point. So long as you don't mind increasing your exposure time you can get away with less expensive lasers. But then vibration becomes your enemy. With a higher power laser you don't need to be as anal when constructing your optical isolation table. But high power and long coherence length = $$$!

Truthfully though, even if I had the gear in my possession right now I still wouldn't have time to mess with holography. Hell, as it is I've got projects sitting on the shelf waiting for a rainy weekend...

Someday though... Someday!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hell, as it is I've got projects sitting on the shelf waiting for a rainy weekend...
    Man we all have some of them!
    I got so many I cant remember most of 'em!
    And I still gotta get my head round building shows in shotime

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk