Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have i got a good deal on a rgb laser?

Default Have i got a good deal on a rgb laser?

i have been quoted $2170 dollers for the 300mw rgb laser below including ishow software flightcase and delivery. i need to make sure im getting a good deal.

i have requested a stronger one without the flightcase and diodes downgraded from CNI to LION and they can upgrade the power to 700mw for the same price. 500mw red, 100 green 100 blue.

is this also a good deal? Im not interested in things like analogue modulation etc but i do want it to serve well in a mobile disco setup with the ability to choreagraph my own shows for fun etc if i fancy it.

if im totally shooting myself in the face by buying this laser please do let me know but at the same time im not a total lasergeek, just think they are cool and would add value to the rig i have.

thanks peeps

laserlink
    http://www.xinyulaser.com/ProductShow_EN.asp?ID=252

First - Where are you located?

Second - There is another thread that goes through a lot of the same questions you need to ask the manufacturer. For example: Do the lasers have IR filters in place? What is the divergence of the individual beams?

To say you dont want the flight case is probably a good idea, because they are usually crap - if anything it will just save you from shipping headaches. I wouldn't want them to just ship a 2000 dollar projector in a cardboard box.

Thats my 2 cents - if you have more specific things you would like to know then ask. You have asked a very broad question and there is no way I am going to type all the things you should ask

-Max

thanks for the informative reply. i live in the uk. i dont know about ir filters yet or if they are te cooled. the software demo is frustratingly bad but i cannot afford the good stuff so ishow will have to do. spending more is not an option so im hoping that for a plug and play unit i cant go too wrong..but im sure thats totally neive of me no doubt...

What I am saying is that these are things you should find out from the manufacturer. If you report the information to us we can get a better understanding of what exactly it is that you are purchasing. Thus we can give you a better answer of the 'value' of the purchase.

At this point I would just tell you to build your own - its a LOT of fun. Or, if you want I'll sell you my projector that is almost done so I can build another

-Max

Quote Originally Posted by wildboy View Post
    thanks for the informative reply. i live in the uk. i dont know about ir filters yet or if they are te cooled. the software demo is frustratingly bad but i cannot afford the good stuff so ishow will have to do. spending more is not an option so im hoping that for a plug and play unit i cant go too wrong..but im sure thats totally neive of me no doubt...

Wildboy - Take a look at my threads on here as I have just purchased one of that type of Laser projectors (the 500mW RGB). They are not good - but - whom I purchased it from is now paying to basically make it up to something like what it should be. They are cheap yes but unsafe and not really legal for them to be selling them in this country. They are not CE marked!
    If you want to ring me about it then please feel free. Number on my website below.

I will post more details later when I get home if you wish?

Jim
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Where in the UK are you??
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

thanks smogthemog i would really appreciate some further info as im just about to close the deal

oh yeh and im on the south coast btw near portsmouth?

I paid £1020 + £25.00 P&P from Silverray laser systems off of EBay and that was a 500mW RGB model of the one in the picture you provided.

They are a bit cheap in design with no quality goods in them. You totally pay for what you get!
    The LD's are CNI as far as I can make out and I haven't a clue what make or type the scan set only that they where advertised as 50Kpps but in reality they don't perform anything like that. They are more like 12Kpps scanners. Alex at Silverray is sorting a couple of problems out with it as we speak, one being the scan set and the other a very high divergence 635nm LD.
    The pictures below are of it on my table next to me about to be stripped and re-vamped.
    The top, sides and front casing panels have been removed as has the 12vDC supply for the 6 colling fans (which are not dust filtered! (but will be soon )
    One of the worst bits of the whole thing are the Dichro's and associated mounts - they are TRULY shocking and are also up for replacement. The dichro's have a rather high amount of leak through of the colour they are actually trying to reflect!

So to sum up, the red LD, complete scan set, dichro's and mounts all need replacing to make it anything like being good.

It's up to you really. I would STRONGLY advise, unless you want to spend more money on it when you get it and enjoy fiddling, against purchasing one and would advise you to maybe look at the Laserworld RGB's on EBay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Laserworld-Shop or the Neo lasers http://www.neo-laser.com.cn/
    Or a cheaper option and still Chinese BUT not quite such poor quality as the Xinyulaser's - AT laser. I have the AT laser Athene II 480mW RGY and it's a lot better quality. It was £500.

There are of course many more to choose from

Hope this helps.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1108.JPG  

IMG_1111.JPG  

--------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Smile

I purchased a 300mw RGB Xinyulaser for a total of $1450.
    $999 for the laser itself and another $450 for shipping, customs, casing, etc.
    It took awhile to get the proper (110 volt) power supply from them, but they were professionally dilligent in helping me to overcome that issue.
    Most of the components are sound... You should go for the flight case and CNI diodes. It has both 16 channel DMX and ILDA I/O.

The included ishow (ILDA) software is nominal, but is not exactly sexy.
    Kind of last generation, probably written by a CAD-CAM diehard geek or a kid in his basement. The Red diode ouput is square and overshadows the other colors. I made a round slitted bandaid over the output to make the beam more narrow.

I am considering buying a real software application.
    From what I've seen on this board, Mamba Black seems to be the torture of choice? I already have the USB box that came with the unit. I could not find a price list for the software. Any suggestions?

-john