Thread: Laserscope optical system

Default Laserscope optical system

Hello photonlexicon,

I have a question about the optical system of Laserscope. When the light leaves the output coupler of the z-fold resonator, is it collimated? I think it may not be collimated, but it is later focussed into a fiber instead. How could I collimate the beam at this point?

Also, does anybody have a copy of the Laserscope reference or service manual which I could buy, or perhaps you could scan the page with the layout and part numbers of the optics for me?

Thanks in advance,

weartronics

Default Laserscope Patent Z-Fold

Nice find Hologeek!

weartronics - There are a few members who would be best to ask. Laserman who I haven't seen around recently is THE guy who invented the Laserscope for Laser Show use.

Jon who I also haven't seen for quite a while is really helpful and if you have questions he might be able to answer them for you.

-Max

Thanks for the link hologeek, I also found more detailed information about the resonator here:
    http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat5025446.pdf

However they don't give any specific information about the collimation of the output beam (except saying that it's focussed in to a fiber). I think the best way to know for sure would be if somebody has a Laserscope, perhaps they could look at the optic following the OC. If it's a flat mirror, the beam is likely collimated. If it's another spherical mirror, likely not.

I would like to see a diagram of the optics (outside the resonator), which I think might be found in a reference/service manual.

Kind regards,

weartronics

The beam exiting the optical relay (resonator) is a highly divergent multi mode beam. After the exit, the beam propagates through a prism that helps to separate any IR that may be superimposed on the green. The resultant beam hits a mirror that sends it towards the fiber. Several different designs could exist. One design collects the divergent green with a simple lens and tries to collimate as well as possible. The best option is to take the beam after the simple lens and to up collimate it by use of a telescope arrangement so that its divergence is acceptable. What is acceptable? User defined, do you want a small beam with big divergence, or a big beam with small divergence... Multi mode beams are a tough dragon to slay. I have a bunch of spare parts on ebay my name is laserman532 For a good time check out the pics at http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ight=cobra+yag