Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tips for Haze fogger?

Question tips for Haze fogger?

I'm looking for a cheap Haze Machine since Fog machines are so not PC anymore. Any suggestions of something under $300?

My viewing area is probably a little less than 500 sq ft. (20x20)

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by PackCat View Post
    I'm looking for a cheap Haze Machine since Fog machines are so not PC anymore. Any suggestions of something under $300?

My viewing area is probably a little less than 500 sq ft. (20x20)

Thanks in advance!
    Unless you're prepared to spend a LOT of money (which you're not) on an oil based 'cracker' type hazer such as the MDG atmosphere you'll be stuck with ones that use 'glycol' or 'glycerol' as the fogging/hazing agent.

Yes, it's the same solution that gets used in both hazers and foggers. The main difference between a fogger and a hazer is the duty cycle. A fogger is designed to give short bursts of thick fog, whilst a hazer is designed to be run continuously and can be adjusted to maintain a 'haze' in the room, you usually find that both the output fan and the amount of haze produced are variable.

I have a Look Solutions Unique 2 Hazer which I find is sufficient for most venues, it is fully adjustable and it just 'sips' fluid, unlike some machines that drink huge quantities. Sadly, this hazer is quite a bit outside your budget.

There are drawbacks with all hazers in so much as they can activate smoke alarms in venues, so it is essential that you check what type of smoke detection system is installed before starting to use a hazer/fogger in a venue. Most 'smoke' detectors will be activated by foggers/hazers, some venues use heat rise detectors which are completely unaffected.

Another drawback is residue. Oil based hazers such as the DF50 and MDG Atmosphere are the very best for beams as the particle size is in the region of 1 micron, this makes for a VERY long 'hang' time and allows the beams to penetrate the fog/haze easily with little absorbtion of the beam energy. The draw back of using oil is that it can leave an oily residue on pretty much everything within the venue if used regularly. The same pretty much applies to glycerol, again it can leave a sticky residue. The particle size for glycerol is around 20 microns, thus if you use too much the beams find it harder to penetrate and you need more laser power.

The same goes for Glycol, the particle size is the same ~20 micron, however, there is not as much residue as oil or glycerol.

So, in conclusion, I would recommend that you find yourself a hazer that uses a glycol based solution. Be wary of foggers with a fan (sometimes called Fazers), these are not designed for continuous use. Look around and you should be able to find a resonably priced budget hazer. As long as you don't expect to get the same results as a machine costing upwards of $1000 you'll be o.k.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Unless you're prepared to spend a LOT of money... There are drawbacks with all hazers in so much as they can activate smoke alarms in venues...
    Another drawback is residue.
    As long as you don't expect to get the same results as a machine costing upwards of $1000 you'll be o.k.
    My alarm goes off when I make toast!
    But that could be a benefit too if I disconnect the alarm sound. The alarm has a really cool strobe! LOL

So, what you are saying is...
    I can spend $24.95 on a cheap fogger and keep plenty of towels nearby, or spend up to a grand on a Hazer that may still cause residue in my residence AND still trip the alarm (which most of the documentation out there indicated was a safety benefit of Hazers over foggers.)

Thanks for the input!

I did find a Chauvet HZ-1000 Ultimate HZ - DMX-512 Haze Generator for $200, but I'm sure it's crap according to your comments.

DMX-512
    2-channel DMX hazer
    400-watt heater
    Output:1,500 cu. ft per minute
    1.6 quart tank capacity
    Wired multi-function remote included
    Size: 11.2in x 9.1in x 10.6in
    Shipping Weight: 16.5lbs
    Power: 110v or 230v
    2-year limited warranty

http://www.directproaudio.com/produc...directid=54480

It most likely will work for your purposes. I have a lot of experience with hazers - both oil and water based. I dont find residue to be much of a problem - the oil based hazers will cover everything though. The chavet hazer you are looking at is a knock off of the Neutron series hazers which work well - but they're not great either.

I did find a Chauvet HZ-1000 Ultimate HZ - DMX-512 Haze Generator for $200, but I'm sure it's crap according to your comments.

I wouldn't say they were 'crap', rather that they are built to a price. As I said, you can't expect to get $1000 of quality out of a $200 hazer. However, that's within your budget and for the purposes you describe would probably be more than adequate. I started off using a small $60 fogger from the local electronics store and to be quite honest it was pretty decent for home use, it was also glycol based.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

The other thing to look out for is the quality of glycol fluid used for the machine. Cheaper fluid contains more water / less glycol, and has a short 'hang time'. More expensive fluid contains a higher proportion of glycol and has a better hang time. Since a hazer is pretty economical in its fluid use, buying cheap fluid is a false economy.

I have had good results with one ot these :

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_...sterzeuger.htm

cheap enough to bin if it goes wrong after the 3 year warranty expires!

I did find a Chauvet HZ-1000 Ultimate HZ - DMX-512 Haze Generator for $200,
    Aaaaaauuuchhhh... don't buy this shit! Get Antari or Martin.
    It's not to insult I'm talking from experience. Bork Bork Bork!
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Cool

Say Doc;

I currently have an Antari fogger (1200Z) and I'm very pleased with it. However, I may have an opportunity to pick up a nearly-new Chauvet F-1250 fogger for a pretty good price. I was thinking it would be a nice "spare" unit to have to back up my Antari.

I've only used one other Chauvet fogger, and it was a cheap one. The pump died on it after about 3 years of use, which sort of leads me to believe that Chauvet may not be the best brand out there. Still, the price on this F-1250 is hard to pass up. That is, until I read your comments above...

Do you have any direct experience with the F1250 unit? I noticed your comments about the HZ-1000, but that was a hazer (or rather, a Fazer). Do your comments apply to the entire Chauvet line, or only to that specific product?

Details, please!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Do you have any direct experience with the F1250 unit? I noticed your comments about the HZ-1000, but that was a hazer (or rather, a Fazer). Do your comments apply to the entire Chauvet line, or only to that specific product?

Details, please!

Adam
    Just to support Doc - Chauvet is a really cheap line of imported goods just like American DJ. You could probably find the same type of hazer or fazer from www.cheaplights.com if they are still in business for much less money.

Haha - Yep (right before the fog fluid you can find the HZ-1000 model for $150) http://www.cheaplights.net/cart/page28.html

I see a lot of Chauvet products on their site now. This might be due to the fact that Chauvet made some sort of deal that if they bought from Chauvet they would give them better prices than dealing direct from the Chinese companies (giving Chauvet an even higher quantity per order thus better price break). Plus this way they get their name on all the equipment too - which leads to better advertising and repeat business.

-Max