Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello to all and PM25 with Scanpro20's

Default Hello to all and PM25 with Scanpro20's

Hi Guys

Although I've already posted a couple of threads on PL I i'm new hear and would like to say Hello to you all.

I've been playing with lasers for about 12 years starting with a HeNe with 3 motor scanners. Then moved on to Argon and then started using DPSS lasers about 6 years ago. (What a difference to the electric bill it made).

At the moment I am using a AT Laser Athene 1 DMX system 100mW Green with modification to output to a second projector I built my self. (I am told that you lot love looking at photos of other peoples systems so i'll post some ASAP).

I am gearing up to start upgrading my system with 2 new CNI MGL150 laser heads, 2 new sets of Scanpro 20 scanners from Lasershow Parts and A new Cham Tech PM25 controller desk.

I've already PMed Banthia (Karl) about an up coming problem with the signal output of the PM25 to the scanner amps input. would love to get some more info from anyone else who may be able to help me.

The PM25 desk outputs the image signals at +/- 10v (20v P to P). This is the case for all the pins X+, X-,Y+ and Y- and as most of you will know the input signal to the scanners is set for +/- 5v (10v P to P).

George at Cham Tech who is supplying me the PM25 as told me to just turn down the Gain pot on the Amps. will this be ok or can anyone sergest a better idea.

Hope some of you can help me and i'm realy jelose of some of systems you lot have got to play with.

Regards

Carl
    Last edited by Carl B; 04-04-2008 at 05:26.

deleted, due to not being able to read this under the april fool jokey thingy

if i type

mees dontyyy undrestrandes wotttt it ses

oorrl theee breasts .... Krapel

Talking

HAHA!

The Swedish Chef strikes again!

You have to hand it to our fearless leader, Spec... He really knows how to make an impression on April Fools day! (What the hell - we are all a bunch of fools anyway, right?)

I'm guessing that things will return to normal tomorrow...

Adam

I've been unable to read the 2 replys to this tread as the text within the the fields is not coming up in English. Looks like a European language.

Have clicked on something to change the language.

Cool

Carl;

It was an "April Fools" joke. Spec has a scrip that converted all the text into "Swedish Chef Speak". (Google "Swedish Chef" and "Muppet Show" if you've never heard of it before.)

Everything is back to normal now.

As to your problem of high input voltage to your scanners, the only other alternative I can see is to install a dual-ganged potentiometer to adjust the voltage down to a lower level. But adjusting the input gains on the scanner amps will accomplish essentially the same thing...

Adam

Hi Adam

I'll be ready for the joke next year. Had me fooled last night.

If I was to adjust the gain pots would this upset the tunning of the amp board and are there any components between the input pins and the Gain pot that could be damaged with the higher voltage? External Pots might be a good idea.

I take it that 10v signals are not the norm when it comes to laser scanners.

I'll try and get some photos posted tonight of my current setup.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl B; 04-02-2008 at 09:01.

Hi People

As Promised I've done some photo's of my DMX system with second projector and DMX desk.

Attachment 2261

Attachment 2262

In this second picture you can see under the safety bolt on the AT laser is the 5 pin XLR for the output to the second projector.

Attachment 2263

Attachment 2264

The switch in the back just above left of the 5 pin XLR is the switch for inverting the X axsis.

As I mentiond before I am going to be upgrading the system so the gutts of both the projectors are to be replaced with new CNI 150mW laser heads with New Scanpro20 Galvos.

Enjoy viewing.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl B; 04-02-2008 at 11:13.

Carl
    turning the gain pot on the scanner board will not alter the tune of them - as long as its not the servo gain! There will not be anything that will be damaged by the higher input other than the scanners if you dont turn it down. The external pot is a good idea as you can twiddle with the size of the scan in future without opening up the projector - though you could do with putting a series resistor in the input leg of the pot so as to limit the overall scan size to a good level. Its no good if the pot acidentally gets wazzed round to full and you turn it on - scanners may not thank you for it!
    If you have a 10k Pot and put a 10k resisitor in series with the input leg then you will half the range available for the scanners hopefully to bang on the +/-5v you want.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Hi Rob

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter.

Just had a look at the manual on Lasershow Parts web page for the Scanpro20's and the Gain pot is labled as Servo Gain which I think means I will have to use an external duel gang Pot on each scanner amp line in. Dose the diagram below look somethink like right?

Attachment 2275

I may have to try some lower value resistors after the Pot to get a 5v output but not to go above 5v.

Regards

Carl
    Last edited by Carl B; 04-03-2008 at 10:44.

Almost Carl - but not quite....
    The resistor/pot network should be dividing the input signal so you want to reverse where the inputs and outputs are connected.
    See my version of your circuit below. Of course these assume you have diff. inputs to the amp and outputs from PM25 - which Im sure you do have
    Ignore the apparent orientation of the pots in the diagram - when using a dual gang pot one pair of end terminals will be joined and will go to ground - the image makes it look like they would be connected to opposite ends which would not work!

Also note my input output notation refers to this circuit so input goes to PM25 output & output goes to scanner input - just to be confusing

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pot.jpg  

If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk