Thread: Anyone familiar with the CTI 658XX Servo Amp?

Default Anyone familiar with the CTI 658XX Servo Amp?

I bought one used cti CB6580 amp board and some 6230 motors of ebay recently. I want to build a pair of scan amps to drive my 6230's using the CB6580 as a starting point. I am trying to wrap my head around the AGC circuit. Is it totally necessary for projection use? It would seem that an adjustable current source driving the PD led would do the same thing but with less accuracy. Also, looking at the schematic R19 is not labeled but is 10ohms on the board. This seems odd because if transistor Q1 fails or the opamp driving it fails it would burn out the PD led.

thanks for any input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 658XX Schematic, D01952D.pdf  

After i posted i found a 6580 rev a schematic on the web. It looks as though R19 is 300 ohms on that board. that seems right giving around 40mA max to the diode. My amp must have been set for capacitive PD scanners. Also, the feedback resistors on the position demodulator are different by a factor of 5. so, i guess i answered that question. I still wonder if the AGC is really needed for light show use. Also, if anyone reading has used the 6230's for light shows how many PPS are they good for? CTI have the step response at 250uS.

thanks