Thread: Anybody know anything about Lasermax?

Default Anybody know anything about Lasermax?

I have an old system which I started trying to fire up the other day. I don't have any instructions but I can get the software to start under DOS, it seems to acknowledge the presence of the PC card and security dongle (I get a warning if either are removed) runs the welcome screen and then opens a screen with a menu bar at the top, and another parameter bar at the bottom.

It then seems to freeze and after about 30 seconds returns a runtime error and stops.

I can't find a lot about this system on the web, so if anyone has any hints that would be useful! I think it was version 4.

Pretty much a retro interest really, and it didn't cost anything, but I'm kind of loathed to bin it just yet unless it's totally dead, as it seems an interesting little piece of controller history!

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Hi,

The software was made by a company based in Miami called the Laser Production Network. They are still going today. But I think the DOS software ended development a good few years ago.

My guess is you bought this with the PC off eBAY recently, as I remember seeing one for sale in the last few weeks. I recognise the system as being one that I was asked to work on a few years ago, (It was being sold with a deathtrap ALC60 PSU?). The customer had the same fault back then, where we deduced it was a knackered dongle. There is a bit of a story which follows, with the owner of the system having to “do a flit” as he owed money to lots of different people. For several years he had disappeared off the face of the earth. Maybe he still has. And it’s just the software/laser system has re-emerged.

If you recently bought the package then I think you may have bought a dud. For it didn’t work four years ago having the same fault. LPN may be able to supply you with a new dongle though. Although to be honest, you would have to ask yourself if it is worth spending any further money on such ancient software. When I used to use Lasermax myself many years ago, one big problem I had with it was that the output scan speed would be dependant upon the processor speed of the PC. Which of course meant if you changed your PC, all your artwork scan speeds were wrong, and needed to be altered. There were also a number of things that would cause the software to crash too.

Best regards

James Stewart

*heheh* Lasers with history!

I had a feeling that the security dongle was the source of the issue, and you're quite right that it's not worth spending any money on, but it filled a couple of hours tinkering on a Sunday afternoon, and stopped me having to watch "Time Team"

Thanks for your help, I shall return this system to the earth!

P.S. It was actually the deathtrap/use-at-arms-length-with-your-fingers-crossed psu that I was after!