Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is This A Bad Idea?

Reminds me of tape worm

Smile

AHHHHH!!!!! My Baby! What have you done to my projector????

Just kidding. Yeah guys - my projector wiring was totally fucked after SELEM. I had two laser failures the week prior to SELEM. I also replaced one of the main power supplies (and then had to yank it out and go back to the old design), plus I installed all new scanners (different mounting block and PSU) and wired up the remote interlock circuit. Then I had the "floating ground" problem. (Traced to a transistor on the Lasever green driver that wasn't insulated properly)

All the above issues forced me to *completely* re-wire the projector at least 3 times, not counting numerous partial-rewiring jobs in-between. Towards the end things got a little hectic. I was actually working on my projector the morning of SELEM. (Got to the venue early to install yet another lasever green to solve the floating ground issue.) So yeah, the wiring was *not* pretty at all.

Still, it wasn't as bad as it looks in the pic above! DZ threw in a whole bunch of extra loose wire just to make the picture look funny. To be fair, my projector looked just fine last spring at FLEM Mark II. It's only recently that I had to rush it. You can see what happens when I'm rushed!

Nevertheless, the point is that once you get into a rush, you end up with a rat's nest of wires, and that makes future changes (or troubleshooting) very difficult! I knew I had a lot of work to do on my projector. DZ graciously offered to lend a hand, and with my busy schedule there was no way I was going to turn down his assistance. (Especially since his projector is a work of art!) So in a week or two I should have something much nicer than I did before. (And I'll owe David one hell of a big favor too!)

Adam

PS: Just for those that are wondering... All the white-and-rainbow colored wire is extra stuff that David added just for fun. My wiring is all solid colors. Also, there is a plastic bag of parts sitting inside the projector on the left side that normally would not be there. (You can just barely see it behind the bundle of rainbow wire.)
    Last edited by buffo; 09-23-2008 at 08:03.