Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob Question on multiple projectors

Default Noob Question on multiple projectors

I currently own a Reke 500 RGB projector, and have been having fun and learning using Pangolin QS and the FB3. Besides just playing with it at home, I incorporate it in Halloween and Christmas Displays and it's quite popular in the neighborhood. I had ordered some other star projectors from Dino Direct and they screwed up my order. So I was able to trade the screwed up order and upgrade and get a second Reke 500 RGB. So now I will have two animation projectors (should be arriving today) to go along with all my star and step motor lasers that I use in my displays.

Am I limited to 1 projector at a time with QS as far as cues go? I understand that getting a Y cable I should be able to mirror the output. Are there limitations with doing that? Can QS incorporate a second FB3 DAC? If so, where can I get one without having to buy the software again? It seems everywhere I look for a DAC it comes with software. Another option I found was to get a ILDA player that runs off an SD card. I think I would prefer to control the cues with the computer if possible. ILDA players aren't cheap either. At this point it looks like mirroring is the most economical route, but I'd like to know what all my options are.

Any help is appreciated.. thanks in advance for your replies.

The hardware is what you pay for. The software is essentially free. If you want another FB3 either find a used one or buy another QS bundle
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I found in QS that there is a way to setup other hardware. I'm not sure how that will change the interface when I hook up another FB3. Nor do I see at Pangolin where I can just buy the hardware as an accessory. I really don't want to spend another 600.00 just to get another DAC. I see on ebay an Ishow bundle that comes with a DAC for under 100.00. Will QS recognize that?

I also noticed that this newer Reke RGB500 does not seem to perform as well as my older one that is nearly 2 years old now. Is it possible that the older one has faster scanners? I had to really mess with the projector settings to get the image to not distort. My old Reke plugged and played pretty well and I could crank up the scanner rates really high without distortion. With this one, I have to keep it around 10k or it gets all wonky.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

DON'T WASTE THE MONEY ON ISHOW!

Now that's over with...

For the time being mirroring is your best bet. As Norty said, the software (Quickshow) is essentially free and it's the FB3 that you're really paying for. You need more than one if you want to send different cues to each projector. Not much getting around it and, one version of the Quickshow software can address up to 8 FB3's (maybe 9) provided you have that many free USB ports available on your control computer. It doesn't change the interface a tremendous amount. The bar at the bottom will show the FB3's hooked up and, you can split the preview window into 9 smaller panes to see what's being sent to each scanner. What you CAN do with Quickshow though, is possibly control your other effects lasers provided they can be addressed by DMX. Your second REKE could be controlled that way as well if I recall however, you're limited to the cues built into the projector itself. But regrettably, the rules of this money pit hobby state, "Ya gotta spend more to do what you want."

I am pretty averse to spending such a large sum of money on a DAC too. I purchased my FB3 when I started out with lasers and it has served me well (and still does) however I am making the move to LSX and Etherdream DAC as there is more flexibility such as being able to use a variety of manufacturers' DACs (not FB3 though) and being able to create the most awesome of effects!

I currently run 2 lasers from one FB3, just using an extra DB25 cable between the 2 projectors. It works well and if your lasers have axis flip hardware, it is even better.

Keith

You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.

Decent control systems in any discipline are never cheap (lighting, video, lasers) despite people willing them or insisting them to be.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Well it sounds like I need to find a "used" FB3 somewhere. So the Ishow DAC does not work with QS?

No only the FB3.

Quote Originally Posted by forte88 View Post
    Well it sounds like I need to find a "used" FB3 somewhere. So the Ishow DAC does not work with QS?
    No, also, everyone who comes on to the forum having purchased Ishow tends to arrive with a lot of problems. Search the forum for Ishow

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    No, also, everyone who comes on to the forum having purchased Ishow tends to arrive with a lot of problems. Search the forum for Ishow

Keith
    I wasn't interested in using the Ishow software. I just need another DAC that might work with QS.. Learning that FB3 seems to be it so far.