Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Info on scan fail systems

Continues to be a good interesting thread…

CE compliance is still seeming to cause a bit of confusion in this discussion. The simple fact is, that anyone that is using a laser projector in a workplace. i.e. at an event etc, whether it is homebuilt or not, still needs to make sure it complies with CE marking requirements; Which in turn means making sure it has all the relevant engineering features as set out by the harmonised standard BS/EN 60825-1. The legal requirement is set out in PUWER(1998), one of sets of H&S regulations that are law in the UK. A laser projector being used in a workplace falls under scope of these regulations, (a point mentioned on our courseJ). When using a laser projector outside of a workplace environment, (i.e. as a hobbyist would) this legal obligation does not exist.

I would tend to disagree that HSG95 is useless. It’s actually deliberately been written to be non prescriptive on purpose, so that there is still some flexibility among its users. This is the preferred approach by HSE, rather than trying to write down strict ways in which something must be carried out. This is one of the main reasons that you would not have seen HSE publishing lots of ACoPs in recent times, as was once the favoured route a while back. What does need improving is Local Authority enforcement.

In any event, HSE and H&S must not be too overbearing. Which leads onto the subject of risk assessments, where there have been publicised cases of 12 page risk assessments being generated by organisations in relation to making a cup of tea. The main thing with a good risk assessment it that it identifies the main hazards, what the risks are, and who is affected by them, so that necessary control measures can be decided to reduce any unacceptable risks.

John O’Hagan’s example, (which actually as a couple of glaring errors in it if is just copied verbatim – Knowing John, probably deliberate, to see how people use it J!), is a good starting point, and covers many of the things that should be considered in a risk assessment. But bear in mind that there many different ways to do a risk assessment, and how to document the important findings, so don’t feel that you need to stick to how the example tackles things.

Thanks Paul for the comments about the course we run. I understand what you are saying, and would love to, but given the amount of material we have to cover during just one day, the example measurement with the Digital Storage Scope, Photodiode and Power Meter on the Laser Crab (deliberately chosen for the classroom environment), is about as much as we can physically fit into the day, after all the theory has been discussed. Before measurements can be confidently taken, the user needs to have a good grounding in where the various MPEs are derived from. Simply showing how to do a measurement or two without knowing the science behind what is being measured is fraught with pitfalls too. But with the theory presented, and the examples spoken about and shown, a definite grounding is in place for people to take it further, which I know happens.

The thing to remember about all of this, is that just going on a course, (however long it is), or just fitting a scan fail card, or using safety calculation software, or just buying a power or energy meter, etc, in isolation are not going to be the magic bullets to being able to instantly perform lasershows below the MPE. They are all tools that will help you to achieve that. Some people decide it’s simply too much work, and don’t bother with audience scanning. Others think the same, and just audience scan in any event, whilst some see that there are fairly straightforward ways to make audience friendly laser effects. …Everyone is different.

Kevin’s comment about me not attending the five day HPA course is a bit puzzling, and I’m not quite sure where it was supposed to be taking the discussion. But he should know that I’ve been on a number of laser safety courses, since the early nineties, including sitting the exam taught over a similar length of time by David Sliney in the US. The course also requires that every three years that attendees have to prove themselves by submitting details of safety work, education and training etc, in order to maintain the qualification. In addition to this, my experience is bolstered by a further good mix of ongoing projects, participation in various safety events, and formal qualifications in the wider H&S field. Our one day course has a strong emphasis on dealing with hazard that could result in ocular problems, reflecting the fact that 90% of HSG95 takes this approach, and attendees expect this.

I think the idea of the open source laser safety project is a great idea, and it pleases me to see such a good range of enthusiasm for this important topic. It’s probably worth working out some basic rules at the start though, to protect everyone and the technology against things going wrong. Things to think about would be; who owns the technology, both now and in the future? e.g. what happens if a someone uses the idea to make a commercial product? Will there be an open licence for people to do this? Will there be any comeback on those that contributed? What about any ownership rights of any of the ideas presented? Could you end up using IP that belongs to someone else? Pangolin’s PASS is fairly straightforward to exclude from this as the two detailed patent docs are freely available on the net, (I think Kevin has already mentioned about infringing Bill’s patents a bit earlier in the thread), but what about any other ideas? Will someone come crawling out the woodwork if they think their circuit has been used? None of these things are showstoppers, but probably quite important to have worked out.

Best regards

James Stewart

Hi James

I am still a little confused regarding the CE situation. As I had originally posted

Quote.

This then brings me to an interesting subject. If you were to retrofit a scan fail system into your projector you will need to re-assess the unit for CE approval (if the projector has been approved in the first place !!!!) therefore home made projectors without CE approval are illegal to use in any public place. PUT THE CAT AMONGST THE PIGEONS HERE !!!!???? So hands up how many of you guys have CE approval ??

As long as you don't sell or transfer your DIY projector, you should be able to ignore CE legislation. If your DIY projector is a prototype intended for production or sale or even given as a commercial gift, you will need to go down the CE marking route. This does not negate the responsibility of the owner/creator of the DIY projector from legal duty of care on the safe use of the equipment.

I was fairly sure that I was correct regarding this !!, but on further google searches I found little information regarding DIY self build for personal use. I conceded that it is not a legal requirement to CE mark or comply with EU legislation. It seems that equipment that is being sold, transfered, used in public or used in the workplace it does need to be CE marked and comply with all relevant standards and legislation. CE can be seen as a passport for equipment / products sold or transferred within the EU in order to trace the initial designer of a product in case of an incident.
    So from my understanding now Green Alien is probably right, it does not seem to be illegal to use DIY home built equipment for personal use only, as long as it does not cause a risk to any third party.

Found this maybe useful.

THE PROVISION AND USE OF WORK EQUIPMENT REGULATIONS 1998(PUWER)

(3) Under reg 10(1), the employer who obtains new work equipment must, in effect, make sure that the equipment is safe. Though the regulation says that the employer should ensure that an item of work equipment has been designed and constructed in accordance with any (relevant) essential requirements of the 'Supply' legislation, this does not normally mean the user going through them in detail. This is because the product supply legislation covers the situation where the user can treat the equipment as complying, if the equipment is accompanied by an EC declaration of Conformity (where this is appropriate), and has CE marking, unless there are reasonable grounds for suspecting that it does not comply. The leaflet 'Buying New Machinery', INDG271, gives further guidance.

As regarding my comments regarding training.

I feel that a one day course on laser safety is not adequate, especially if you don't understand the calculations or the procedure to assess the risks. I am only aware of one course in the UK that will cover all aspects of laser safety, HPA(Health Protection Agency) with Loughborough University, a full week of intensive training including workshops, practical measurements, peer assessments, final exam and John O' Hagen and John Tyrer as course tutors. I am not aware that even James Stewart has attended this course ???, but if he has he should know that the beam risks are a small part of laser safety.

I certainly was not in anyway way trying to say that your training or qualification was any better or worse than my own (sorry James if you thought that). I was only trying to make the point that laser safety is not limited to the 'laser beam'. The Laser Safety Management Course that I recommended is an in-depth course with very good understanding of the process of providing an adequate risk assessment that if followed with an understanding of the issues regarding laser safety, should provide you with a risk assessment complete enough to ensure that it will be satisfactory to be accepted by a court if someone decided to sue.

Regarding my comments on the HS(G)95 being "useless "

Maybe it is possible to convince the local authorities that an adequate risk assessment is ok due to the fact that they have no real experience in laser safety or they all seem to use the HSG95 (USELESS). Many still quote Class 3A lasers ??? this information is also available from the HSE as a guidance to local authorities.

This is not only my own view, but also the view of some members of the HPA. I had a copy with me on the course, a tutor picked it up and slammed it down onto the table and said "this is useless and you will understand why at the end of the course ". He was making the point that the document did not take the full life cycle of the display and did not give any information on how to ensure the MPE was not exceeded, hence my comment that laser safety is not restricted to just the beam issues. This is why I believe that a one day course does not provide adequate training to understand all of the risks. I would agree that the LV course does include some very interesting information and I certainly would recommend this.
    My main concern regarding this course is that some people are attending the course in order to obtain a certificate of attendance, but are using it to validate competence. My opinion and this is only my opinion is that a professional laser safety course should include all of the issues regarding safety in their profession.

I myself only provide advice on laser safety issues on a none profit basis as I feel that it is beneficial for our company to ensure that the professional laser business is protected, but if it can help hobby users gain a better understanding of the risks they can decide for themselves if they wish to take their hobby to the public SAFELY.

As regarding the length of risk assessments, I was only pointing out that in order to document and assess all of the risks regarding the delivery of an average laser display you will probably need more that 3-4 A4 pages to cover all of the potential issues, certainly one or two pages (even with very small print both sides) cannot include enough understanding of the hazards involved.

The other point of view is that you don't even bother assessing the risks and then the risk is much easier to assess "You injure or kill someone and you go to court and take the punishment ".

Regards

Kevin
    Free Guide Dog Puppy With Every Laser Show Lynx Laser UK

Quote Originally Posted by JStewart View Post
    I think the idea of the open source laser safety project is a great idea, and it pleases me to see such a good range of enthusiasm for this important topic. It’s probably worth working out some basic rules at the start though, to protect everyone and the technology against things going wrong. Things to think about would be; who owns the technology,
    Why does anybody need to own the technology? Like a typical open-source project, the world contributes, and then the world benefits. I think that's the only way it can reasonably work.

what happens if a someone uses the idea to make a commercial product?
    Actually, I have every expectation that people will do this very thing. But would this really be such a bad thing?

Lets consider the situation we have now. There are thousands of projectors being sold by some companies with absolutely zero scan-fail interlock. And there are others with a really crappy scan fail interlock. The main problem here is education. I see it a lot. It's not that people really want to make a dangerous or crappy projector, it's just that they don't know any better. Although the initial intention is for it to be used for hobbyist use, lets say it gets proliferated among all of the projectors coming out of one place in particular (nobody needs to mention where). Well, the worst thing that happens is -- now we have increased the safety by one notch.

Right now we have ... nothing. If what you propose happens then we have... *something*. Not everything, not a great thing, but better than nothing.

Will there be an open licence for people to do this?
    Not necessarily. But what is to prevent people from taking code (or at least ideas) from Linux, and creating their own software for commercial gain? This happens a lot!

But in this case... so what? The end result is safer projectors.

Will there be any comeback on those that contributed?
    You mean liability? That's a great question. Is there any liability on the part of the thousands of people who have contributed to Linux? What if the space shuttle crashes because of embedded Linux software or something like that? This is certainly something to consider, but I don't think this is the biggest question.

What about any ownership rights of any of the ideas presented? Could you end up using IP that belongs to someone else?
    Well, what I think is being discussed here is something really simple. Basically, something to get the job done. Quick and dirty if you will... It's got to be simple for hobbyists to implement.

For example, Steve already presented ideas in a system from Laser Media. That system was installed in 1986 in Disney's Epcot Center -- i.e. 22 years ago (and by Steve's account, cruise ships as well). Laser Media is now defunct, and doubt there would be any patent rights left on an idea that was in use 22 years ago... And this kind of system (not that circuit, but something that accomplishes roughly the same thing in a simpler way) would certainly be effective for hobbyist use.

I have been batting this around in my head, and I have an idea of how this can be implemented in a quad op-amp and a comparator, and a handful of other parts. But I am not going to just contribute the design. I would rather others chime in and see what happens. I'm sure that I'll participate as the discussion evolves.

Pangolin’s PASS is fairly straightforward to exclude from this as the two detailed patent docs are freely available on the net
    Huh? PASS? Two patent docs on the net? Hmmm. Sounds like people are assuming things again...

If you are talking about the two patents I am thinking of, then those are really pretty old ideas, filed in 2004 and 2005. PASS wasn't used until much more recently which tells you something right there... Surely we would have thought of some new ideas between then and now .

As an aside, I just love having products that nobody can figure out. BEYOND is another one. Is it hardware? Is it software? Is it both? Is it neither? You'll find out later on this year... .

None of these things are showstoppers, but probably quite important to have worked out.
    Sure. That's what open source is all about. The community batting an idea around until something evolves organically.

Anybody besides Steve want to contribute some circuit or system-level ideas for this project?

Best regards,

William Benner
    Last edited by Pangolin; 04-14-2008 at 23:09.

Lightbulb

Hey, um... I can contribute by testing. I need all the safety assistance I can get.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

We would be more than happy to throw some bits in
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Same here!
    ( i know this is a bit off topic here, but I am continuing work on the open source dac so look out for that as well )

bill said
    I just love having products that nobody can figure out. BEYOND is another one. Is it hardware? Is it software? Is it both? Is it neither? You'll find out later on this year
    Bill are you turning into Willy Wonka .... cos that sounds just like him

PS.... Can i have a ride in the PANGOVATOR ....

An elevator can only go up and down, but the Pangovator can go sideways and slantways and longways and backways... at the speed of light.
    BUT SERIOUSLY ....

I think that the open source Scan fail would be excellent .... anything that reduces the risk has to be better than nothing at all.

we need to start a new thread that sets out the objective af a device, and to set this project underway we could may be call it "open source scanfail unit phase 1 " or even better if Spec can set up a Laser safety catagory in the forum that we can post to

to start the discussion we need to look at

1, conditions of failure
    2, input sense requirements
    3, compatability with scanner amps on the market
    4, response time
    5, output control ( beam shutter, diode blanking or both )

these are just a few that i can think of .... in no particular order

all the best ... Karl
    Last edited by Banthai; 04-15-2008 at 07:28.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I would be glad to contribute fast multipliers and a known good to 100+ kilohertz percision rectifier design. My only concern is how do we get electronics newbies to safely tap off a signal from the scanner amps without meltdown. Also while diode modulation will eb fast enough to X hundred milliwatts, I am concerned about response testing. While I have access to a 1 ghz storage scope and a fast photodiode (basic garbage in a university laser lab) , not everybody is so lucky. I am also concerned if said circuit will drop the shown until manually reset, or will it try to periodically power the laser back up into a failed scan pair.

I also wish to stress keeping it simple. No software, unless it just monitors the situation as as a diagnostic aid. A few opamps or other linear chips on a quality power supply is very reliable. Anything beyound that isnt, without a lot of testing.

I personally like the idea of a precision rectifier right into a comparator. Skip the squaring, it doesnt buy you much, although in a far throw small signal situtation it improves accuracy and prevents unneeded shutdown, but how may hobbyists are going to be doing low angle audince scanning from a scaffold 100 feet away?

Steve

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

quote begin"
    Lets consider the situation we have now. There are thousands of projectors being sold by some companies with absolutely zero scan-fail interlock. And there are others with a really crappy scan fail interlock. The main problem here is education. I see it a lot. It's not that people really want to make a dangerous or crappy projector, it's just that they don't know any better. Although the initial intention is for it to be used for hobbyist use, lets say it gets proliferated among all of the projectors coming out of one place in particular (nobody needs to mention where). Well, the worst thing that happens is -- now we have increased the safety by one notch.

Right now we have ... nothing. If what you propose happens then we have... *something*. Not everything, not a great thing, but better than nothing.
    end quote

AMEN, Well Said, and may they copy it exactly! I just tested a RGB projector of 1/2 watt from a certain place, and 15 seconds after you disconnected the ILDA connector, it started dumping out full angle, full power, beam effects, often static, without the DMX plug inserted. NO master shutter. Its owner was unaware that it would do this.

Steve roberts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Its owner was unaware that it would do this.
    They should have had a tester...