Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mamba Black LPT output to Norms DAC help pls

Default Mamba Black LPT output to Norms DAC help pls

Arrg and double arrgggg

There is something i am not getting here and I just can't fathom it out.

I have Norms DAC fitted into my RGY and it works fine using NLS.

I am trying to make Mamba work the DAC via the LPT port and just cant seem to get it to work.

How do I need to set Mamba to work the DAC please?

Thanks
    Jim
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Lightbulb

Hey Jim,

Copy the two files of this zip to your Mamba folder.
    Than Load the driver in Parallel Port Settings menu and than Save it.
    Maybe the colors and blanking might not work the first time, but X and Y must move as never before.

Good luck,
    Audrey
    Last edited by Miss A.; 01-07-2009 at 10:09.

Thank you Audrey, I will give it a go

Jim
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Oeps, It's not working anymore! Sorry
    Version 1.90 is changed, but it works with an older version like v1.82.
    So, copy the files to your Mamba folder and goto Output Settings (not Color Settings) than select in the box Output Device "Mylaserpage DAC".

Is this working?

No
    Ok, here's what I have got Norms DAC is an 8Bit 2 channel DAC so the Blanking seems to be taken straight from the LPT port straight to the laser modules. It only routes through the DAC board but actually dosen't go anywhere else.
    The MLP DAC seems to be a 4 channel DAC which I think is not compatiable with what I am trying to do.
    In Mamba if I got to Settings/Color Settings/port 1 adr (378 my LPT port address)/Settings I have the 8bit output set to DAC1.
    Channel 1 is set to X
    Channel 2 is set to Y
    No other settings are set. AFAIK, this should give me an X & Y output to the Galvo's but all I get is a very small diagonal line when I try and show any .ILD file via Mamba
    Norms NLS software works the DAC fine as does Popelscan but the problem seems to lie with Mamba and it's ability to control it's LPT port output.
    Please heeeelllllppppppp
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Jim
    The important thing is the designation of the signals into the DAC from the parallel port. You need to find out what signals Norms DAC uses.
    Set DAC1 under the 8 bit output and select 8 channels from the drop down - it dont matter if you are only using 5.
    edit < oops I just re read to see norms is 2 channel - so select 2 channels from the drop down >
    Then you need to fill in info from (hopefully) the data provided by norm. I have heard he will go the extra mile to help so Im sure he will provide you with signal designations. So based on this select x y r g b in the correct channels.
    Then you need to ensure the Write and addressing signals (A) A1 A2) are correctly assigned.
    If you look at the bottom of the p. port settings page there are 4 boxes to fill in and assign the 4 signals that will match the behaviour of the DAC to the Mamba signals. These are the P port strobe, autofeed, init, and select signals. If you have no documentation try all combinations until you get it working. You may need to reassign xyrgb later but thats not a prob.
    edit < because ndac is 2 channel there will only be 1 write and 1 address signal to use then you will need to assign the 1 bit output to the signal norm uses for blanking >
    Just remember when you do get it right save the settings as smog.pds or norms.pds or whatever and it will load these settings everytime on startup.

Good luck and I hope my babble makes sense

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Thanks again for the info Rob, Audrey.

I have emailed Norm for the relevant information and await his reply.

In the mean time I will try what you suggest by miffing around with it to see if I can get any further. Usually I am good at fathoming things out like this but this one has really stumped me
    Last edited by smogthemog; 03-28-2008 at 05:54.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

If you look at the pins that are connected up on the DAC you should be able to work out which outputs on the PP are in use - hence narrowing down the options. Good luck
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Well after our little meeting the other night Rob I duly got home and rigged everything up - Still can't get it to work

It must be my versions of Mamba I have - It's rather annoying that MB 1.9 doesn't support Parallel port working and the 1.6J dosen't work either.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Hi there,
    Some 2 months ago I was building a LPT DAC for my friend's Mamba setup.
    I did it 8 channel using MX7228 / AD7228 chip and a dual OA for XY.
    I used Mamba's standard config for DAC control lines.

I set up the LPT standard to SPP (unidirectional with no DMA) in computer's BIOS.

Since I had no access to licensed Mamba, I tested it with several demo versions. I was unable to get LPT DAC output using some of them (I explained myself this was due to DEMO versions used), but as I remember 1.7 or 1.8 demo version was giving the signal via LPT nicely.

I remember there was some quirk that had to be done to enable(=get out) LPT output.
    LPT communication did not require any driver, it was configured with NO Output Device selected in Mamba setup, just LPT config done (color output settings screen ?)

Then I had to hit the laser enable icon once or twice, also screen display icon was used.

Then it was working fine, until Mamba restart.

As You see I'm not a daily Mamba user, but I thought this may lead someone somewhere ... If You press on me I will refresh my memory with my Mambas collection CD, my PC, LPT cable and oscilloscope (I no longer have the DAC pcb here).

Piotr.K