Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: ALC68 strip down & clean - Help please

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    Using twin Papst fans as blowers and a centrifugal fan for the exhaust, I used to run mine at 1W for 8-10 hours at a time without any problems
    I dealt with extremists elitists and/or people who blamed their ability to fix things on things like not enough fans. So I have no doubt Quazar is more likely to be correct than myself.
    Rob Mudryk
    Retired old and Grumpy Laserist

Thanks for all your comment people, it's very uplifting to hear them

Everything was labeled and marked plus I took about 300 photo's of the disassembly and all the markings.

Nearly there now and will soon be going through the realignment procedure............. Wish you where here Rob
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

I am now completely ready to go through the alignment procedure ---- apart from fitting the exhaust fan, I have just noticed

Todays photo's:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1510.JPG  

IMG_1511.JPG  

IMG_1512.JPG  

IMG_1513.JPG  

IMG_1514.JPG  

IMG_1515.JPG  

IMG_1516.JPG  

IMG_1518.JPG  

IMG_1519.JPG  

IMG_1520.JPG  

IMG_1521.JPG  

IMG_1522.JPG  

IMG_1523.JPG  

IMG_1524.JPG  

IMG_1525.JPG  

IMG_1526.JPG  

IMG_1527.JPG  

IMG_1528.JPG  

IMG_1529.JPG  

IMG_1530.JPG  

IMG_1531.JPG  

IMG_1532.JPG  

IMG_1533.JPG  

IMG_1534.JPG  

IMG_1535.JPG  

--------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Looking good Jim
    If you were anywhere but the other side of the country I would be glad to help out!
    You are more than welcome to give me a bell for advice but Im sure youve read and digested the proceedure. Maybe you can use the ALC60 as an alignment laser - it will certainly have a tight enough beam. Best to use a gas/ion as the beams are sooooo much better than dpss or diodes for this kind of work.

Good luck - leave yourself plenty of time, dont rush, dont get disturbed turn your phone off and work systematically. Im sure you will get it sorted.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

I agree with alignment being a bitch, which is why I never removed more than one optic at a time. I also never attempted a rebuild this serious. Have fun.

I wouldnt say it was a bitch - the first time i did it, I had never done it before
    Its just like anything - understand what you need to do and keep that in mind as you go to the job - and ensure every step is right and complete before moving on. I breezed it on my SP168 after having both optics out - ok not a major rebuild like this So I guess the main difference is I was certain the tube was central in the frame - but i did it with a home made - very heath robinson - affair to change the height and angle of my hene alignment laser and in my shed on a bench that was anything but flat. Oh and the SP168 was raised in the air using old CDrom drives!
    After I did this the laser was better than it had ever been!

Go Jim Go!

good luck

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

On a positive note, one of the original American Engineers is in Germany, and does rebuilds on those things. If he doesn't get lucky there is skill on that side of the pond.

He could get this on the first try.. the 4000th try, catch on fire, burn his eye out, and or throw it thru a window, or somewhere in between...

hope to see a bluish green glowing pics up here next time I'm back
    Rob Mudryk
    Retired old and Grumpy Laserist

I Realised last night whilst talking to Rob (Stanwax) on the blower, whilst stood in front of the 68 that I had fitted both the Papst fans on the wrong way around Suck out and not blow in....
    That has duly been rectified and the centrifugal fan has all now been re-fitted too.

Photo's of today's work with also some photo's taken down the tube bore at varying focal lengths using a small halogen torch at the other end.

I am currently waiting for a 10mW HeNe laser to turn up (should be here in the morning) that I purchased yesterday from good old EBay to use for alignment purposes.

Someone a while back either emailed me or I read somewhere anyway of another method of alignment which involved alignment whist running the tube???? Anyone know of this method??

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1545.JPG  

IMG_1546.JPG  

IMG_1547.JPG  

IMG_1537.JPG  

IMG_1538.JPG  

IMG_1539.JPG  

IMG_1542.JPG  

Last edited by smogthemog; 06-06-2008 at 13:26.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

We got the small SP's and ALC's working with just a piece of white paper in a darkened room.
    Remove the front optic completely, and with the HR in place put a piece of paper about 6 inches in front of the laser and run it at a moderate tube current. Watch the plasma spot on the paper carefully as you walk the rear plate in, the idea being you will at some point get the mirror into the right position and you will see a small, just noticible slightly brighter purple spot appear in the plasma glow. It'll not lase as the OC is out. Adjust to get the small spot as central as you can in the bigger plasma spot, and your HR is in roughly the right place. Then you can insert the OC and walk that in in a similar fashion, only this time you're looking for lasing. Once you are lasing, you can then have hours of fun walking the beam up to maximum

It was you then Simon - I knew someone has sent me that at some stage in the past. Did you send it via email or PM?
    You know, I am going to give that way a go first, it sounds easier than faffing around with the HeNe and the associated pitch and height adjustment rigmarol.

I will post how I get on tomorrow evening.

Thanks Simon.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!