Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: selem 08

Thanks DZ- I'm $ wiped at the moment- will get back to U on thoze when I can- S

No problem steve.

Getting somewhat back on topic, I was looking through my toolbox last night and I found 2 mystery items that don't belong to me. One is a phillips head screw driver and the other is a nice multi-led flashlight. Sorry that its taken me this long to realize I had someones stuff! Whoever they belong to, I'd be glad to drop them in the mail to you, just send me a pm.

OK the third RGB is finished and stacked with the others. I have use a lot of leftovers from the other two and things I have had in the cabinets. This is where the Norms driver finally found a home also. It has a 50 mw 473nm that was sold and I baught it back{too low power for the guy-wanted more} , a repaired 80mw 532 making 30 mw of green with a smaller diode, and a 165mw 660nm diode. The balance is a little off....but it will do. The cabinet measurements are 16" x 7.5" x 3.5". All will attend SELEM and the red effects generator might be done as well. I have finally closed on a house in a flying community and will be spending a bit more time where I like to be...Flying! Time to build a hangar....or toy box as the wife calls it. Here are a few pix of the little 250mw collection of parts.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2435.JPG  

100_2437.JPG  

100_2440.JPG  

Last edited by MechEng3; 04-19-2008 at 02:48.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Thumbs up

That is very NICE! Analog ot TTL? You need to share with us some pictures of it working...

Default SCHAZAMM !

Mike....very nice and compact RGB!!! What's next ?mmmm???? A morph/next gen of your hand held RGB....now to sport a micro-mini scanner head + support electronics + a build in speech to text programme ( like Dragon )....lika ..." Mr.Microphone...gone wild ".....Why not ????? HAHA...Another CDBEAM original(= Hair-brained Ider )....SCHAZAMM !!!.....Nice unit....more pics ...please !!! Selem should be BLAST !!

" ab incunabulis...Lux Magna !! "
    CDBEAM !!
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 04-19-2008 at 06:00.
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Cool

Great stuff, Mike! Very compact.

I agree with Aaron though - we need to see photos of that thing in operation!

Adam

How far is the meeting place from the nearest airport? Where is the nearest airport? Are hotel prices reasonable there? If I can get a decent fare on an airplane ticket maybe I will go.

Smile

Hi Gary;

The nearest airport is in Charlotte. It's 45 minutes by car from the venue. Charlotte is a huge hub for US Air, but there are other airlines
    that fly in there as well.

If there are any rooms left, I suggest you stay at the Trott House Inn. It's a Bed and Breakfast that is only 3 blocks away from the venue. Great place to stay for only 90 bucks per night. But that place fills up fast, and there may not be any rooms left...

The hotels in the area around the venue are reasonable; less than 6 miles away (just off Interstate 40) there are plenty of hotels for around 80 bucks per night. (Not rat traps, but decent hotels like Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn with high speed Internet and free breakfast.) If you're willing to drive a couple miles further (about 10 miles or so) you can find cheaper places like Red Roof, Super 8, and so on.

There are other regional airports in the area that are smaller, but if you can find a flight into one of those airports (Asheville, Winston-Salem, Greenboro, or even Raleigh-Durham) you might be able to save some money on the flight. But you'd end up having to drive longer to get to the venue. (The first three are about an hour and 15 minutes away, but Raleigh would be a 2 hour + commute one way.)

It's probably best to stay in the Newton - Connover - Hickory area. Hotels are cheaper, and you're close to the venue. You could stay in Charlotte and drive 45 min each day to the venue if you wanted to, but you'll pay a lot more for a hotel in the city.

Here's a link to the venue. The outside might look a little dumpy, but if you look at the gallery pictures you'll see that the inside is quite nice.) You can use mapquest or google maps to sort of get the lay of the land... Newton has all the normal attractions of a medium size town; it's not exactly hicksville USA. But it's still only a city of like 30,000 or so. Lots of small-town charm.

Also, don't forget about the pre-SELEM dinner party at The Artist's Cafe on Friday, August 15th, at 6 PM. Trust me when I say that this is a party you don't want to miss! (I've already spoken with Louie, the owner of the resteraunt, and he has us on the schedule; we'll have the entire upstairs area to ourselves again - just like last year.) So if you do decide to come to SELEM, try to schedule it so that you're in town in time to make it to the dinner party Friday night.

Adam

Thanks for the info. Which is bigger SELEM or FLEM? I would like to hit one of them but it will probably be a one time deal so want to get the most bang for the buck.

SELEM is bigger by far. For one, it's a 2 day event. Also, the venue is much larger, so we can have more equipment running at the same time. Finally, we get a larger draw for SELEM than we do for FLEM. So yeah, if you had to pick one, it would be SELEM.

Adam

PS: We also have door prizes at SELEM!