Thread: Flippin' Chinglish Manuals, grrr...

Default Flippin' Chinglish Manuals, grrr...

I own a couple of Purelight PL182 tri-beam LED lasers. I like them. They shoot pretty beams of light out. They claim they can do tunnels, but no combination of DMX signals I have sent to it - and I've spent hours fiddling - have rewarded me thusly. In fact, the DMX control seems non-deterministic. And the manuals are (a) Chinglish and (b) wrong in places. Sigh... Does anyone here have experience of these devices, and can send me the magic runes to make my lasers sing?

Are they Lasers or Leds?

This is "AKA" a Big Dipper F-02. I used to have one. I actually did manage to determine the DMX values and you're right, it's not easy - I have a fixture file made for it for FreeStyler DMX, and I've attached it. Even if you don't use FreeStyler, you can still get the DMX values out of it. Oh - and you'll need to rename it from .txt to .fxt

Good luck!
    Will
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Are they Lasers or Leds?
    They are diode lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by will_ko View Post
    This is "AKA" a Big Dipper F-02. I used to have one. I actually did manage to determine the DMX values and you're right, it's not easy - I have a fixture file made for it for FreeStyler DMX, and I've attached it. Even if you don't use FreeStyler, you can still get the DMX values out of it. Oh - and you'll need to rename it from .txt to .fxt

Good luck!
    Will
    Thanks VERY much will, that's fantastic!

No problem!

If you are running several DMX fixtures, there is just no beating FreeStyler for the price and performance. I have an Enttec Pro DMX (~$150 on ebay) that I use with FreeStyler to control a bunch of moving heads and other lights for my band. It's sooooo much easier - and cheaper than anything else!

I've yet to see how it will play working side-by-side with my new LA Studio/FB3 in a live context... Hopefully no issues

I use Daslight on a laptop (I do the lighting for a local Pink Floyd tribute band). I haven't bothered with a hardware controller as of yet. None of my fixtures have dimmers (which is a cost issue more than anything) so I haven't seen the need. Meh...

Oh, yes - Daslight is nice too. I agree - I doubt I'll ever go back to a hardware controller. If I really want a control surface, I'll get a cheap USB/MIDI fader pack.