Thread: Camera tripod thread size...

Default Camera tripod thread size...

This really is a laser-related question...

I'm thinking about using some inexpensive camera tripods as portable mounts for some small bounce mirrors. Does anyone know the diameter & thread-count for the mounting bolt that is used to attach a camera to the tripod?

Thanks!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Not sure but I think it's ¼ Whitworth in the UK

No doubt somebody else will come along and tell me different

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    This really is a laser-related question...

I'm thinking about using some inexpensive camera tripods as portable mounts for some small bounce mirrors. Does anyone know the diameter & thread-count for the mounting bolt that is used to attach a camera to the tripod?

Thanks!
    Two sizes, 95% of them are a standard 1/4-20 stud and something rare on professional tripods that is 5/16 or so, we have the 5/16 on one tripod at work and I can borrow a thread guage if you really had to know. But again, most are the 1/4-20. Broadcast guys use a huge triangular snap in stud like the surveyer types use on transits.

Now, on to something completely different.....

Steve

Good enough - thanks!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Cool

For what it's worth, you can get *great* deals on speaker stands if you look around on E-bay. I picked up a pair of 10 ft tall On-Stage brand stands that will hold up to 140 pounds on E-bay for just $110. Here's a link to an auction for the same stands for $130 buy-it-now.

I'm using one of these to support my projector, and I'm thinking about buying another pair so I'll have three stands for bounce mirrors. They're really stable stands...

Adam

Wow - thanks for the link, Adam!

There are some killer deals on speaker stands out there!
    RR

Sweet.....