Thread: New Method Lasers Full-Auto Software and Controller...

Default New Method Lasers Full-Auto Software and Controller...

There seems to be very limited info on the Full-Auto software and controller on the internet. Is their a demo copy of the software I can download? Is their any other software I can use with the controller? I'm surprised how little info is available for the hardware/software sold by manufacturers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    There seems to be very limited info on the Full-Auto software and controller on the internet. Is their a demo copy of the software I can download? Is their any other software I can use with the controller? I'm surprised how little info is available for the hardware/software sold by manufacturers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Adam
    New Method Lasers was closed and Full Auto is not more manufactured and there is no demo version, only of the predecessor X29.
    By the way, which is the model of your controller?

Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by Lasershow View Post
    New Method Lasers was closed and Full Auto is not more manufactured and there is no demo version, only of the predecessor X29.
    By the way, which is the model of your controller?

Carlos
    Hi Carlos,
    I'm looking into purchasing a complete projector that includes the Full-Auto software and controller. I'll have to get more details to figure out the model number. I may just swap it out for an FB3. Since it's not manufactured anymore, can someone send me the software in a torrent? I'd like to play with the program to see if it's any good.... Is it?
    Thanks!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    I'm looking into purchasing a complete projector that includes the Full-Auto software and controller.
    Adam, verify with On Stop Laser Shop (www.onestoplasershop.com) successor of NML, if still there are the software and new controllers or used for sale.

Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by Lasershow View Post
    Adam, verify with On Stop Laser Shop (www.onestoplasershop.com) successor of NML, if still there are the software and new controllers or used for sale.

Carlos
    I'll do that, thanks for your help!
    Adam

Smile

OneStopLaserShop.com still sells Full Auto and X-29 hardware and software. They can get you up and running if that's the way you want to go.

However, there is no demo version of the software that I'm aware of. Full Auto uses a separate parallel port dongle that *must* be present for the software to run. You can't launch the software unless you have the dongle plugged in, though you *can* run the software without the ISA controller card installed. (And before you get clever and think you can bypass the dongle with a boot-loader dongle emulator, know that the software periodically checks for the dongle while the software is running. So even if you manage to bypass the boot-up dongle check, you still need the dongle, both for editing frames or shows as well as for playback.)

The last time I checked (about 5 months ago), Full Auto was pretty darned expensive. (Somewhere around $1000 for the hardware and software.) Considering that it's fairly old software, and only supports TTL-color modulation (7 colors max), I'd say that you'll be better off with the FB3. Even if you decide to upgrade to a LivePro license for the FB3, you'll still be better off. (LivePro is *way* better than the Full Auto software.)

Now, I do know that Fred at OneStopLaserShop.com is working on a USB successor to the old ISA-card-based Full Auto controller. I believe he said that it would be ready sometime this year. But I haven't heard anything about it since December of 2007, so I don't know the current status of the project.

Bottom line: right now the best value on the market (in my opinion) is the Pangolin Flashback 3. At $595, it offers full analog color control, precision 12-bit control over X and Y, DMX-512 in for remote control, USB-in for computer control, built-in flash card reader for complete stand-alone operation, a complete software suite (LA Studio) including a 3D modeler, Abstract Generator, Effect editor, Show creator, Text tool, Write-out editor, and two different live players. You really can't go wrong.

Adam

Thanks for the info Adam,

The biggest issue is that the Full auto controller/software is "included" in the used projector I'm considering and the FB3 is $600 more. I have no doubt the FB3 is well worth the price but I want to see what the Full-Auto software has to offer first. If I'm greatly disappointed, I'll swap it for an FB3. (Note: This is not for my personal use. If it was, I'd go with the FB3 in a second.)

Do you know what the approximate resale value of the full-auto software and controller is? (on Ebay) If it has any value at all...
    Thanks Again!
    Adam

Smile

Hmmm... Retail value of a Full-Auto controller on E-bay. I really don't have a good feel for that one, but I would guess around $500 or so. Ask Dream Beamz; he still uses Full Auto for a lot of stuff and can probably give you a better estimate.

Adam

Hey Adam,
    Great news! So, worst case scenario, if I'm not happy with the Full-Auto I could possibly cover a majority of the cost of an FB3 by selling it. Cool!
    Thanks again!
    Adam