Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LaserBoy has kicked the OS habbit!

Default LaserBoy has kicked the OS habbit!

I did it!

I now have one set of code that compiles via SDL in both Linux GCC and Dev-C++ for MS Windows!

I still have a few issues to sort out, but I can now open ILDA data into a graphics window and do stuff to it with key strokes! It is nice and fast in Windows and it is unbelievably fast in Linux with X.

Once I get all of the features to work in this new multiplatform version, I will be compiling it for MacOX and MacOSX as well!

Then, LaserBoy will rule the Earth!

James.

Thumbs up

Nice! You will of couse be charging for the Windows version correct? Charging to license... of couse.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

nice! looking forward to test this =)

Cool

Say James...

Any chance of you making the trip to North Carolina this summer for SELEM 2008? Sure would be cool to see your software in action there.

Adam

Default If you build it, they will come

I want to keep it free and open source.

As soon as I have it working as well as the original Linux version, I will release it as source and compiled binary executables.

Perhaps by the time SELEM rolls around, a lot of people will have been using it. I'd love to be there. We can have a LaserBoy show-and-tell.

There is still a lot to be done! I have plans to add a few new features to the development environment and I would like to get other people involved in using the methods of LaserBoy in different ways to be able to accomplish all aspects of laser display.

I know very little about how other computer based laser signal generators work; and I'd like to keep it that way! I'd like to see my ideas become the new world standards.

If LaserBoy is free, runs on ALL computer platforms and offers capabilities that don't even exist anywhere else, who wouldn't at least try it?

I'd also like to create a community website, with memberships and forums, etc.

Perhaps I can make some money selling modified sound cards, technical support, teaching classes, developing custom solutions, etc...

This is my art and my contribution to the world of art and technology.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 05-28-2008 at 09:28.

Default Multiplatform LaserBoy Status report

Things are coming along rather nicely!

I've almost got it done; and by done, I mean farther along than it ever was in Linux! It now has neato color menus, can run in a window of just about any size, looks and performs AWESOME in every place I've tried it.

So far I have tried it in Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP Pro, Vista, Linux with X, and the Linux console. It should look just as good on a Mac, in OS/2 or a FreeBSD machine (etc...).

I am loving it! I haven't had this much fun since I found out how to get to the individual pixels on my Commodore64! (84)

It will probably be a few more days until it is ready for public release. I need to put what used to be three different processes together into one LaserBoy application GUI.

I want to get it out ASAP so that people can use it for a while before SELEM. And while it's out there being used, I'd like to have a chance to add to it and fix it up.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 05-28-2008 at 09:29.

Cool

Glad to hear that you're still hard at work on this, James! I can't wait to see it in action at SELEM this summer.

Adam

Talking LaserBoy Multiplatform (for Windows) is finally here! FREE

Check it out everyone!

Please let me know if you find any bugs.

http://akrobiz.com/laserboy/code/Las...04_27_2008.zip

It will never really be done, but it has never been any doner!

I still have a lot of work to do to integrate the wave player and screen preview parts into this application. But this should give you a very good idea of what LaserBoy is all about.

Enjoy!

James.

Interesting. Are you going to add mouse support?

Smile

At this point, I'm not sure what I would use a mouse for.

I've spent so much time developing this project without one that it almost seems pointless to add it now.

I really like the fact that LaserBoy is not like any other application out there. It does everything in a different way.

Once you get the hang of it, tracing over bitmaps and coloring is really fast. I think a mouse just gets in the way. It is not steady or precise enough.

James.