Thread: Cheats! Blue Stinger... Not the Game

Cool Cheats! Blue Stinger... Not the Game

Does anyone know if you can increase the power on a O M N I S Y S T E M Blue Stinger? it is rated at 4.95 m w. Looking inside, it has a nice PCB, that controls the blanking. The laser inside says O M N I L A S E on the side. I would think you could increase the output. Anyone try this? Any Ideas?

Lightbulb

For the price of that thing I would rather have buiolt my own. You could get a set of scanpro30ks and atleast a 20mW blue, if not 50mW, and probably the hardware to make a box with safety interlock and all. Well, that was the $1500 discounted price I saw when I first searched for it. There is a "list" price of $2400, but I bet you can find that thing on wBay for less. I have been thinking of buying one of the cheap eBay projectors, to see if it can be stripped for a good case. Just do an inards trnasplant.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Yeah, I hear that about the price of these things vs. a built one. Unfortunalty our band allready bought one before I was on board. right now it puts out about 4.8mw, I would think it could do more, but I do not see any adjustments.

I just did what you were saying about "gutting an Ebay projector" last weekend. Unit turned out really nice, took out all of the dmx stepper motor junk, and installed a catweazle scanset (this is the one that you helped me on inverted blanking) Everything fit in really nice! I have to take some pictures of it.

Lightbulb

Yes, you must take some pics and post them... That is why we are all here. did you go full RGB, or monochromatic... (that ain't right is it?)

I would almost suggest you pack the Stinger up and mail it to one of the wiser members here who have dissected a blue before. Although, the power controls will probably be in the power supply for the laser.

If you have the extra money floating around you could replace the laser so you can use the Stinger, and then mail the old blue out to someone who can look to power it up. When they send it back you could reswap it back in and then build a projector around the... old-new blue.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Misebeam View Post
    Does anyone know if you can increase the power on a O M N I S Y S T E M Blue Stinger? it is rated at 4.95 m w.
    One problem with increasing the power beyond 5 mw is that you'll need a variance from the CDRH to use it in public. Keep that in mind as you contemplate performing surgery on the unit...

Adam

Thumbs up

DOH! I should have thought of that...

Hi buffo,
    Yeah I was aware of that, I am going to try ro submit it under my current variance, if I can get more power out of it.