Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WOW- Laser Pointer banned in Australia..

I don't think that lasers are banned in Australia yet. As far as I know, the ban is still in proposal stage. I hope that it doesn't become a law. :\
    Last edited by ixfd64; 04-23-2008 at 12:34.

[QUOTE=Stuka;48489]Unfortunately, Australia has a history of rather severe banning legislation.
    Do a web search for the firearms bans of the late 1990's to see what I'm talking about....

Actually, the NSW government will probably discover fairly soon that they have already banned laser pointers - all laser pointers over 0.5mw were banned about 15 years ago, without much effect. As far as I can tell the proposed ban only applies to handheld devices, so shouldn't affect projectors.

Semi-automatic weapons were banned in 1996 in the wake of the 'Port Arthur Massacre': 35 people killed one Sunday afternoon at a popular tourist destination by a nutter called Martin Bryant. There hasn't been a similar occurrence since. The US is one of the only 'western' countries to allow people to own firearms, and it really shows in the homicide statistics.

Lasers make pretty colours, guns kill people. Sorry for the lecture, but I don't see the two as comparable.