Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW- Laser Pointer banned in Australia..

Default WOW- Laser Pointer banned in Australia..

I just heard a news report about laser pointer being banned inaustralia, due to jerks aiming them at planes.... This is NOT good for Any of us!! Whos Next?

On a more happy note..! Im now sucessfully am using the QM2000.NET system and its pretty slick! Also, 2 sets of scanpro20 scanners are on the way from Australia( irony) for an attempt at 2 green beam projectors...Thanks for the great review of them Buffo! It turned me on to them! Now i can have Full color screen show and green beams overhead! Having fun in canada! NELEM 2009?? Any takers?
    CREATIVITY AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT!
    www.laser-ad.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LASER-AD View Post
    I just heard a news report about laser pointer being banned in australia, due to jerks aiming them at planes.
    Hi Carey!

Yeah, I read about that on reddit this morning. Here is the article from the Sydney Morning Herald that describes the penalties.

I gotta admit, I never would have thought that Australia would have passed this law. It sounds more like something our paranoid government would do!
    Also, 2 sets of scanpro20 scanners are on the way from Australia( irony) for an attempt at 2 green beam projectors...
    Sounds great! When you get them both running, how about shoot some pictures and post them here. (Should be a great setup; RGB in the center and green beams left and right. Classic 3 setup!)
    Having fun in canada! NELEM 2009?? Any takers?
    Tempting... I haven't been to Canada in about a decade or so. I suppose these days I'll need a passport to go though. Plus it would be something like a 28 hour drive for me.

Adam

great... yes, a 5mw 650 laser pointer will instantly cause an airplane to explode into flames during flight lol

jeeze, think much anymore?

nice to know that incompetence isnt just a US thing lol

Unfortunately, Australia has a history of rather severe banning legislation.
    Do a web search for the firearms bans of the late 1990's to see what I'm talking about....

I just hope it doesn't have an adverse affect on the industry "down under" - I'm sure some of the frequent contributors to this forum might be feeling a bit concerned!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Anyone know if my US weapons permit is valid for this application?

If so, lets go to AU and do some shows!
    Ex-Keeper of the QM2000 boards.

I have no problem with the fact that they are banning pointers. In fact I wouldnt care less if they banned them world wide. Apart from teasing cats I cant really justify having one, and if anyone can get hold of high powered hand held lasers then perhaps we need a some form of restrictions on them (maybe licences).
    BUT!
    I'm only happy with all this if the governments realize there is a big difference between hand helds and projectors.
    Projectors take lots of time, money or both and the average joe who owns a pointer wont have the patients or the brains to aquire one. People who do own a projector are normally clued up because it's taken lots of time or money to get one, and dont point them into the sky.

i understand banning these 300mW pointers and such but seriously what can you do with a 5mW pointer?

They should mount laser detecting missiles on planes. The problem would be solved pretty quickly when someone shines a laser at a plane and gets hit with a barrage of hellfire missiles.

lol or one of those antimissile chemical lasers that they mount on planes fight 80mw green laser with human vaporising lasers...
    pointers are for the poorer folk like myself interested in lasers but with a budget of about £300 total for the hobby

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    They should mount laser detecting missiles on planes. The problem would be solved pretty quickly when someone shines a laser at a plane and gets hit with a barrage of hellfire missiles.
    I've heard a funny story about someone shining a laser at an Apache chopper in Kosovo (or somewhere like that) getting a near-death experience. The Apache luckily didn't attack because the laser originated from a friendly in the base camp, but needless to say it can be bad for your own health to point lasers at military aircrafts in war zones. This particular laser was not from a laser pointer though, but rather the targeting device of an anti-aircraft weapon system.