Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My very first laser project, 2W Viasho DPSS 532

WTF ! can those people still see right ??

25% of 2W is still 500mw!! WAAAAY to much for audience scanning in such a small room if you ask me.

If I were you, i would edit your post and remove the link, because some people here on the forum are gonna give you an asswhoopin'

Still, I have to say, nice show!

Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear... Do all the posts on this forum about safety mean absolutely nothing?

I despair, I really do

Jem

BTW, Just to give you a little benefit of the doubt, I do appreciate that video can be deceiving, please convince me that it wasn't really 500mW shining into those poor people's faces.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Something that I've read once on another laserforum. Don't ask which one, because I've been doing nothing else then reading laserforums lately

I have never done this test before. I also dont know if the guy that posted this ever done it live, but I would love to see somebody do it. It's to prove a point about audience scanning with 500mw.

1. Take a lens from a cd player
    2. grab some goggles
    3. using very low power (or just a 5mw pointer), try to put the lens in front of a balloon so that the dot is in focus. This is your testdummy.
    (a cdplayer lens is very close to the human eye lens...)
    4. now, with full power (or your 500mw) scan your worst case scenario pattern over it. (take the pattern of a small circle for example)
    5. According to the test, the balloon still pops!!!!!

That my friend, scares the sh*t out of me.

Everyone on the film is blind, but they say it was worth it because the laser was so nice.
    Heh. No, everyone is in good shape.

OK.. I know this is not a safe show, You can never call it safe if you have more than 5mw and no calculations.

This Is what I've done since I do not have a laser power meter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audience_scanning
    How to make audience scanning safer

Quick test for aversion response. Note: The following tip is only for use when you believe your show is safe by using the above tips AND you are aware you could damage your eyes if your show is not safe. Use your computer or PCAOM controls to set the laser output to all green or all white. Run the show while standing at the closest audience access point. As the laser crosses your eyes, evaluate the brightness. If you have a desire to avert your eyes, you are probably approaching or exceeding the internationally agreed safety levels (MPE).

I started out on very very low power when I got the laser.
    After reading alot of safety guides and regulations I was afraid of looking into the beam even at very low power. I also got googles, used them when testing the laser.

In the video Zoom is 100%, scanrate is 100% and there lots of movement.
    The frames also has a lot of beams.
    When testing more and more, I turned the power up bit by bit.
    as I said, when doing this video, even when trying to look directly into the scanner from a distance you dont get blinded and want to close your eye. no afterimages.

But I will get a laser meter and do my calculations before doing anything on a party or in public.
    If someone know a cheap laser meter I'm interested.

How do you create higher divergence on the laser beam?
    Do you use a lens mounted on an actuator or somthing?
    Last edited by Atlewee; 05-11-2008 at 23:24.

I dont have a power meter either, but I know that with enough smoke, my 50mw green looks a bit less bright as yours in the video.

So, I hope you were wrong when you guessed it was 25%.

My 50mw green is on the border of being comfortable when you go stand in the beam (4m from the laser). And even that is not considered safe here.
    So, I dont believe that 500mw can ever be comfortable in such a small room.

I could be wrong on the 25%..

Thats just me turning the knob on the laser psu.
    but that may not be linear?
    And it may not be 25% turning either.. So I could be very wrong on the 25%
    There is also alot of smoke in the room.
    I also think that it could not be 500mw, but I don't know, because I have never seen other lasers.

I have started on the encloure for the laser.
    It will be a Moving Head Enclosure.
    The thread is located here: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4652

Quote Originally Posted by Atlewee View Post
    I could be wrong on the 25%..

Thats just me turning the knob on the laser psu.
    but that may not be linear?
    And it may not be 25% turning either.. So I could be very wrong on the 25%
    There is also alot of smoke in the room.
    I also think that it could not be 500mw, but I don't know, because I have never seen other lasers.
    That looks more like 1w to me..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Dude!!!
    That is nuts,,that close of range to people and that amount of power
    "NOT GOOD"! In all the shows I have done from house partys to massive events I have not ever or would think of using that much power scanning people.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlewee View Post
    I did some filming yesterday.
    Nothing advanced, just a few frames moved around by dmx.
    Using the audio input of the dmx controller to get sound to light.
    Laser is running about 25%, I don't have a laser meter, but by standing in front of the projector (3m distance) its just butiful, you dont feel its to bright.
    Its a lot more pain looking into a 575w moving head pointing right at you.

But could it be harmful even if it you dont feel blinded at all?

I tested it on my vorspiel yesterday before going out to town.
    Let me just say the lightshow at home was alot better than out there =)
    And as you probably know, the color and the beams are like a 100 times better in real life than on a movie clip.

here is the movie:
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyeUGLNWCRc&fmt=18
    File: vorspiel video clip (beams look alot better than youtube) 45.8Mb

I don't know how much power I was using.
    Used the same power this weekend, beautiful to look at, and no pain or wanting to close my eyes.
    There is sunlight inside, (only white blinds) pupils are probably way smaller than 7mm.
    I have also checked my vision and its perfect. Can see all the smallest letters on the doctors chart.
    I know that damage accumulates and that you will probably not find any damage with a normal test.

I will get a meter and test the power used.
    I need a meter.. Anyone know a cheap but accurate one? Over 2W