Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: My very first laser project, 2W Viasho DPSS 532

Quote Originally Posted by Atlewee View Post
    I have also checked my vision and its perfect. Can see all the smallest letters on the doctors chart.
    Being able to still see the smallest letters on an eye test chart is no measure of the damage that *May* have been caused to your eyes by laser exposure. The only way to know for certain whether any damage has been caused is to see an optometrist who can examine your retina/fovea in minute detail, he can also possibly electronically 'scan' your retina for signs of damage.

The human brain is very good at compensating and will attempt to 'cover up' the damaged parts in your vision. If you want to do a 'quick' check yourself you can download an Amsler chart, this is a much better guide of damage than being able to read the smallest letters on an eye chart. I once uploaded a chart here on PL, try doing a search (assuming you can still see the screen )

However, it must be clearly understood that using an Amsler chart and being able to see it without 'holes' does NOT mean that there is no damage to your eyes. As I said before... See an Optometrist/eye doctor/optician.

PLEASE, PLEASE be careful, once your eyes are damaged that's it. No second chances!

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

A piece of plastic wrap acted like a mirror and I got blasted when I thought all reflective material removed from area and that was under 100mw. I have some nice googles that are 14-16 od 808nm, 1064nm for dpss work but at 473-650or so are around od 5-8 they have flip up covers and I have bought the add on lens filters to get the visible wavelengths up to 15-16 od when needed, these were not cheap a couple bills around $350 with extra filters and worth every penny!

Here's a link to an Amsler's chart:

http://www.macular.org/chart.html

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by trwalters001 View Post
    Here's a link to an Amsler's chart:

http://www.macular.org/chart.html
    Sir,

I have viewed your movie.

Your running too much power too close to many unsuspecting people who are trusting you with their safety. Your scans are roughly fixed in space with respect to the audience's eyes, and are slowly moving on repeated paths. TOO slowly and not any where near enough randomly placed to be safe! I have attended many courses on audience scanning and have attended many audience scanning shows. I know what I am talking about!

for example,
    Laser eye surgeons use 200 mW -300 mW of yag for forming small lesions on the back of the eye, 575 is WAYYYYYY too much power for that close to people for their aversion response to work.

YOU MUST STOP DOING THAT CLOSE UP SCANNING!!

If you wish to continue, you should consult your countrymen on laserfreak.de and get the details on how to do it right!

You may have small burns to your peripheral vision already. You would not notice these until a truck hits you from the side!

I urge you to keep things 3 meters up until you you have the equipment and the training to proceed safely.

Steve Roberts

Exclamation

Hi Atlewee-

But I will get a laser meter and do my calculations before doing anything on a party or in public.
    Hmm. Kinda looks like you skipped the meter / calcs / safety part and went straight to the chics / party part...twice already...

Sorry, but gotta throw my 2 cents in support of the others, here, as I'd have to agree with Dave, as well - looks to be a good deal more than 1/2W (though visually judging green power in fog can be deceiving...) Still, looks to be WAY too much power for this close and that tight of a beam..

Wouldn't it suck to find out one innocent nite of impressing / entertaining your friends ended up with someone having trouble reading fine details from now on?? Food for thought, eh?...

Correct me if I'm wrong, PL'ers, but I think you'll find the helpful laser / projector suggestions falling off from members here if they feel you are heading down a path of a 'cavalier attitude' towards safety. Nearly all of the members here are to be highly commended for their seriousness and support of having fun with lasers - safely (I say 'nearly all' because there are a few new PL'ers / just learning / getting into lasers, etc, that appear to not yet have a clue...*ahem*...)

'For-profit-or-not', and having local 'laser-regulations-or-not' is totally irrelevant to the much more important 'ethical' issue of always ALWAYS ALWAYS committing to being SURE you ARE safe - BEFORE you lase. Not to sound like a 'myna-bird', but 'Aquamarine' should be teaching / reminding every single one of us of that lesson RIGHT NOW. And yeah, this ain't a 40W Q-Switched KTP, I know, but 500mW-2W - especially of 532 - CAN DO and DOES DO SURGERY - THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!

So, no disrespect to your fine efforts in projector-making, but hope to NOT see any more 'tests' scanning your friends in the face with ANYTHING other than something you are ABSOLUTELY SURE WILL BE safe for their eyes - and, BTW - I think using eyes as a 'power meter' is just plain STUPID.

Ok, I'll shut up now... Welcome to PL!

peace..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

i have done quite a few shows with a 1 watt laser and the power you are using to scan through the crowd of girls in a lighted room looks the same as the laser i was shining 10 feet above anyones eyes on a wall!

be careful please

and once you find a safe crowd scanning power turn the power down a little more just to be safe!
    -Josh

(I have put the measurements on the components so that people that are planning the DT40pro they can start to think about the layout)

your a life saver! i have pre planned pretty much my entire project thanks to these measurements!

-Josh