Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2008 funding

Lightbulb SELEM 2008 funding

Hi guys;

I'm trying to get all the details together for SELEM 2008, and as much as I hate to talk about money, I need to make a decision soon on how we're going to pay for the event.

Last year we simply divided the cost of the auditorium rental ($500) by the number of registered members (10, including me) and everyone paid $50. However, right before the event we had a couple extra people sign up. That extra money was used to help offset the cost of the custom shirts that DZ made for us.

Realizing that it's difficult to predict how many people will be in attendance this far out, I've been thinking about a new way to fund the event, and I want to hear other people's input on the idea:

I'm thinking about charging for the SELEM 2008 shirts, and using the proceeds from that to pay for the auditorium rental, rather than charging an admission or registration fee per se. The idea is that, to attend SELEM, you need to buy one shirt for $25. If you want extra shirts, they will only cost $20.

One shirt purchase gets you into SELEM, and you can bring your spouse or other family members if you please. Essentially this is just like last year; each PhotonLexicon member contributes, but you don't need to pay extra to bring a guest.

My hope is that a lot of people will want a shirt for their spouse, or a spare for themselves. Plus, I'm expecting more people to attend SELEM this year.

I'm not exactly sure that this will generate enough money to pay for the event, but I'm willing to take the chance. If it is wildly successful and we end up with more than enough money, we'll simply buy more door prizes to give out. If not, then I'll eat the difference.

The nice thing about this plan is that it encourages people to register (and buy a shirt or two) very early, and that makes it easier for me to plan for how many people we'll eventually have.

So what do you all think? Is this a better way to pay for the event vs. trying to predict the exact number of attendees in advance, and then dividing the costs that way? Let me know your opinions!

Adam

Sounds like a good idea, but a lot of work required from you!

However, if you're up for it -

I'm in - put me down for 2 shirts...

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I'm in for two shirts (XL) if you got'em. If we don't reach the financial goal
    with the shirt sales, than I think we should divide the rest of the cost among
    the attendees as usual. There's no good reason that Adam should eat any
    financial shortfall. My 2 cents..

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ImageLight View Post
    I'm in for two shirts (XL) if you got'em. If we don't reach the financial goal
    with the shirt sales, than I think we should divide the rest of the cost among
    the attendees as usual. There's no good reason that Adam should eat any
    financial shortfall. My 2 cents..

Mark
    Couldn't agree more!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

is it possible to buy a shirt on mail ?
    I cant make it all the way to US this year :\
    But I gladly buy a t-shirt to support you.

Quote Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
    is it possible to buy a shirt on mail ?
    I cant make it all the way to US this year :\
    But I gladly buy a t-shirt to support you.
    Hmm, I think it would be a good idea to open up sales of the SELEM shirts to anyone. Even if you don't plan on attending, then you would be in part a sponsor of the event. Plus you'd get a cool t-shirt out of the deal! If anything, we can increase the number of shirts we plan on making, reduce the cost slightly and use some of the funds to offset the cost of the additional shirts. Maybe this call for another poll to see how many people that don't plan on attending want a shirt.

Cool

I don't have a problem selling shirts to everyone. After all, it *will* be a cool shirt! (Just have a look at all the design ideas we've got going on in the logo thread...) Plus, since we'll be broadcasting live via ustream.tv, people will still be able to say that "they were there", even if it was only in the virtual sense!

Ok - glad to hear that there is support for this idea. I'll get with DZ and iroon out some details, then start a new thread so people can register for SELEM and order their shirts!

Adam

Wink

Adam, you're not paying for everything...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Yeah, I'll pop for 1 shirt, even tho I dont think I can make it this year (gas prices, traffic ticket$500lawyer$450,accidental diode purchase$1500) eh-heh visa is way over what iwannitobe... plus i was a butt-hole last selem with my drunken posts.. I did have a helluva hangover the next day after the Pango-drinking-contest on fri..can I count that as an excuse?
    But it waz a hellova good time(from what i remember..) he.. Tho I must say there was way too little fog for good beamshows.. would they allow cigar smoking in the auditorium this year?

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Yeah, I'll pop for 1 shirt, even tho I dont think I can make it this year (gas prices, traffic ticket$500lawyer$450,accidental diode purchase$1500) eh-heh visa is way over what iwannitobe... plus i was a butt-hole last selem with my drunken posts.. I did have a helluva hangover the next day after the Pango-drinking-contest on fri..can I count that as an excuse?
    But it waz a hellova good time(from what i remember..) he.. Tho I must say there was way too little fog for good beamshows.. would they allow cigar smoking in the auditorium this year?
    Oh come on, you just have to make it! Forget what happened in the past, this years SELEM is going to be a can't miss event! Besides, I think you said the biggest problem you had with last years event was the lack of beams. Well, I'm working on that! Just for you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08306.JPG