Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 watt Viasho project completed

I am a qualified engineer, but credit goes to P1t8ull on this one. He did the majority of metalwork..

So, I am a lazy engineer

Default Very well done

I really like the two story idea. I want to thank you for sharing the pictures.
    I use the same scanners, though with 100mW green, and am very happy with them.
    I know that a project like this may never really be finished so this next comment is only a "someday later" nit pic. When wires pass through sharp metal edges and shake during transportation, they can get cut causing a short. Some grommet material would be good. This is less of a safety issue on your project as it looks like only low voltage wires pass from lower to upper level. Overall, an inspiration to us all.

Default Very well done 2

Opps! I couldn't see your pictures while I wrote. By the color of the wires, it looks like 240vac passes between upper and lower. Please protect those wires and yourself.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the comments Knightlite.

There is power running up one side and signal up the other, so you are right, I do need to do something there. I deburred all the slots really well and the only other thing I could think of adding was some insulation tape which would look a bit rough.

So, I am open to suggestions, so please send them my way

Mark

rubber grommets

Rubber grommets are ideal but you can also get plastic edging for just this job - dunno if you can get it wide enough for the thick ally plate but worth a lookie into. Otherwise just a piece of plastic formed to shape and held in place with a couple 'o' screws. If you make the strip wider than the thickness of the ally then you can bend it on either side so its got a sorta funnel shape - nice and smooth for the wires

Rob

PS or a piece of rubber/plastic fuel hose (8-10mm dia) cut to length sliced down the middle and pushed onto the ally edge - there are many ways to skin this cat
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

There are many ways to go. My favorite is "spiral wrap". Panduit makes different sizes of this but is generally only an OEM source. Much more available is Radio Shack. Look at their part number 278-1638. I have seen the same sort of thing at hardware stores in the electrical area. I don't mean to pick apart the great job you did. In a former life, I worked with safety agencies and had to keep my company's products compliant with UL, CE and ISO. Safe is good.

Default Job Done!!

Thanks guys for all the tips.. I eventually got round to fixing this issue...

Now I have neoprene rubber around all the cable inlets.. Hopefully that'll do the trick...

Nothing worse than a bit of chaffing

Mark