Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a little machining help

The big one can't. It was built primarily for MDF and tooling board (hard foam/plastic). As such it has a 4hp 24000 rpm spindle, not too good with aluminum. This is actually a old picture, it was my first stab at 5 axis. The latest version is setup as three axis and will be getting a new mo-better 5 axis head that is in the works.

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

We have a manual brideport in working condition. The problem is the ways awe so warn to can move the table 0.050 just by pushing on it, also, the spindle bearings are very warn and the cutter removes material on passes back and forth no matter how many times you do it. We got the mill for free and you can't complain about that. I would like to know how the output is from the computer with the mach3 cam software. Do you have an add in card? What about the signal to the servo controllers and the feedback?
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

That sucks about the ways. Have you tried to tighten up the gibs? Bearings for the head should only be a couple of hundred dollars, that should be all you need. Those things are built like tanks and usually can be brought back from the dead.

Mach:

There are several options for mach. Mach can output Step and direction from the parallel port or there a number of third party boards that you can use to get the step and direction signals. I don't know what that controller uses, steppers or servos. Depending on the drives mach might or might not work out out of the box.
    There are lots of reasonably priced motors and drives that could be retrofitted. If you guys can it would be worth it to get your tool fixed and running well then you can concentrate on making things with it.

I can help you figure out some of this stuff if you want. I have been down this road several times before and know most of the players. I also am a administrator on the machsupport.com forums and could probably get you a hell of a educational discount for mach.

Take some pictures, try to figure out what kind of drives and motors it uses. Get a dial indicator and measure the run out in the spindle. Try snugging up the gibs, use the indicator figure out the backlash, go through the entire machine and oil/lube and tighten every nut and bolt.

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Thanks Chad,

I'll try to take a picture or so if the machines tomorrow. Just to clarify,

We have 2 machines, one is a old BP Series 1 13x42" Mill with step pullies. This is the one with the problem. The bearings in the head are pretty much shot and the ways are way too worn. That is the old one and we only have to use it untill we get to the end of the semister. At that point we will move in the new mill.

The new mill is a 1984 BP Series one with a Anilam SR1100/1100m conversion. It is 2 axis with a 2HP variable speed head and power draw bar. This one came from Coherent and they barely ever used it. The ways still have all the scrape marks and the table has not been drilled or cut! You can actually spin the handles and move the table. The Screws have little to no slop The computer is a 387 with a VGA board, a motion board, a flash board and a floppy.

I'll try to get pictures of the control cabnet at least because the machine is under a tarp.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)