Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Laser Visuals

Good to see someone using the dmx board from Milford instruments at Leeds. I 'd mentioned using the board previously in the post DMX to TTL from LVP http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2462
    but was met with some skepticism! Great product I think!

I am no expert on this stuff, still learning really. But the board does exactly what I want and the guy was very helpful on the phone. So if a novice like me can get it working with minimal effort, it must be good

Mark

Default Poly 20 kit wiring query

Hi Mark,
    I too bought a poly 20 kit, albeit about 2 years ago. I'm now in the position to mount it, but have a basic wiring question.
    The attached picture (sorry for the quality) show 3 wires (red, blue & brown). with all the connectors hooked up, these wires are the only ones not connected to anything, but I'm not sure where these go. Also, i'm not sure where the + - from the PSU go to.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Adrian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 070820081038.jpg  

RED = Power Supply (+)
    BROWN = Power Supply (-)
    BLUE = actuator signal

Hey, mark -

My Poly-20 is now hooked up (using a Northlight Systems DMX decoder), and sure enough, the motor on the Poly-20 never seems to return to the same center. In fact, for any given DMX setting, the effects I actually dial up on the wheel usually vary from cycle to cycle, which kind of makes it difficult to actually program any effects settings in advance!

I did find out that for mine, DMX 214 stops the "jitters", but even with that I still don't get a reliable effect selection for a given DMX setting.

Did you ever get this issue worked out with yours?

Thanks!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Looks like Stuka beat me to it

Been a bit busy lately, so a bit slow on the uptake...

I still have the same problem with mine and haven't had time to look at it. As there are now three of us trying to do this, I have emailed James at LV to see if he has any ideas.

My guess it has something to do with the DMX startup and ending values. I am wondering if there is a way to apply a 0 volt signal to send the wheel home and then immediately apply a DMX value between 108 and 115 to lock it in its home position. Hopefully then it will always start and end in the same place. But like I say, it's only a guess.

Will keep you updated..

Mark

What exactly is a poly wheel? Does it create it's own little effects without needing to use galvo's?

It's a 50mm dia glass wheel with 20 sectors. Each sector contains a different diffraction grating. You steer the beam through the grating using an actuator and out the other end comes a 130 degree fan of coloured beams, or a starfield etc...

And as the laser is not blanking and the beams are not being mechanically moved, you get a very bright effect..

Mark

Like this one from my old projector

KARL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails laser021.jpg  

Ahh OK, thats kinda cool. So its basically a controllable diffraction grating? Sounds cool

Here's a REALLY cool effect using the Poly-20:

Using your laser graphics software, display a frame that uses some sort of rapidly-cycling color change effect. Then, reroute the beam throught the Poly-20 wheel.

The rapidly-changing color separation provided by the Poly-20 makes for a VERY cool hypnotic effect!!

Now, if we can only figure out the centering issue with the driver board
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....