Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: combining beams

HAHA!!!
    I have to find out how much blue and green the laser is out putting. If it is outputting 1.25 watts of each colour then the amounf red i will need will decrease, since it will only be around a watt of green...correct or not?, im really not sure lol
    -Adam

Cool

If it's making 2.5 watts all lines, then roughly 40% of that is going to be green, and another 35% or so will be blue at 488 nm. The other, deeper blue lines and the violet line will add to your blue, assuming that your PCAOM has enough channels to modulate them all.

So, that means you'll have a bit more than a full watt of green and roughly a watt of blue. If you go with 635 nm, you'll need around 2 watts of red to make it look good. (Remember that you'll loose green and blue power through the PCAOM.)

Going with 660 nm red isn't really an option in this case. You'd need 4 to 6 watts of power, and that's not really practical at 660 nm.

Adam

Hey,
    alright that sounds good.
    Thanks alot everyone!!!
    -Adam

one more thing...should i just go with a krypton laser then, or stick with a diode laser? Andf does anyone know where i can find a good red for a good price?
    thanks alot
    -Adam

Quote Originally Posted by premierlaser View Post
    one more thing...should i just go with a krypton laser then, or stick with a diode laser? Andf does anyone know where i can find a good red for a good price?
    thanks alot
    -Adam
    If you're going down the gas/PCAOM route, another option is to see if that I90 tube is suitable for an Ar/Kr fill and a set of cavity mirrors.
    If it is, you should be able to get >6w all lines and your red beam will be that sweet 647nm, and as tight as a ducks bum

while i dont know too much about ion lasers, i would DEFINITLEY go the Ar/Kr route if its practical!!!

you got yourself a BAD ASS argon laser and throwin a 635 diode next to it is going to insult the hell out of it! LOL. get a nice mixed gas. turn the baby on and throw out a nice 6W 2mm white beam!!!
    and take LOTS AND LOTS of pictures!!

-Marc

LOL
    that is all very exciting and inspiering
    but how much would that cost and where could i get that done?
    does any one know?
    Thanks ALOT!!!
    -Adam

Quote Originally Posted by premierlaser View Post
    that is all very exciting and inspiering
    ... don't forget expensive! If you can get away with just a fill/mirrors and a PCAOM, you're still talking some quite serious $$'s... although saying that, I have seen some AOM's change hands for quite little money recently.

Where are you located? Maybe someone who lives in your region would be able to point you to an ion surgeon so you can find out more

i live just 30mins west of toronto in ontario canada.

Cool

I'm guessing that the optics alone will run you $500 or more. Then you're talking at least $2000 for a Krypton/Argon fill. Steve Roberts can probably recommend a couple firms. (Evergreen comes to mind...)

However, an I-90 does make for a nice whitelight laser. I've seen a couple that have been whitelighted, and they're nice. Not super bright, but very nice. Figure on 3.5 to 4 watts, all lines, for a new I-90 with a Kr/Ar fill.

It will probably cost about the same to add 2 watts of 635 nm red to your projector. So which way you go is up to you. It might be nice to start with the 635 diode though, as you'll be up and running right away. Later on, you can whitelight the I-90. (Then you'll have the diode free to install in a SECOND RGB projector that you'll have to build!) Lasers are an addiction, dude... Get used to spending money you don't have!

Adam