Thread: need help.... need marconi red module fixed

Default need help.... need marconi red module fixed

i'm not at the level of experience to rip apart and build or fix a laser module. I have a dual Marconi 650nm @ 225mw and one of the modules is running VERY week! I see he went in for a surgery and now i'm looking for someone who can take it apart and replace the diode. hopefully it goes in this catagory since it involves internals ...if not can the moderator please move thread to appropriate area.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by jsalopeck View Post
    i'm not at the level of experience to rip apart and build or fix a laser module. I have a dual Marconi 650nm @ 225mw and one of the modules is running VERY week! I see he went in for a surgery and now i'm looking for someone who can take it apart and replace the diode. hopefully it goes in this catagory since it involves internals ...if not can the moderator please move thread to appropriate area.
    Eh, marconi used a pretty much custom diode,bought in bulk to drive the price down. you may have problems finding one that hot in a one off. Have you not been able to reach him? I have two of them, I can do it, but I'd end up replacing both the driver and the diode if he built it the way I think he does. I'll open one of mine tonight and look at it.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-05-2008 at 08:34.

You can get an open can red diode out of a 20 or 22x dvd burner and it will be able to put out the power that the old one did. have a look at threads in the general section about which drives contain these diodes. Installing it is another matter, as I have heard that he completely glues the modules up to make it hard to disassemble.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    You can get an open can red diode out of a 20 or 22x dvd burner and it will be able to put out the power that the old one did. have a look at threads in the general section about which drives contain these diodes. Installing it is another matter, as I have heard that he completely glues the modules up to make it hard to disassemble.
    With respect, I've popped too many of the rom burner diodes on the bench at average powers above 80 -130 mW. He wants that for his club, its gotta be solid. I know about the potting, thats why I said new driver/new diode keep the optics. recent intelligence says marconi is healthy, just real behind at work

let me see how much mitsu or sony wants for low quanities. I've seen spec sheets for 250 mW CW diodes, its just getting them in the states is another matter.

Steve

What has been your experience with the long die open can burner diodes? From my tests, these are completely different beasts from the typical burner diodes. Also, Marconi said that his diodes had a longer cavity than 'typical' reds, but this was before the long die open can diodes came out, and I seriously doubt that he was able to purchase enough to have a custom diode run. Not even small cdrom manufacturers who sell hundreds of thousands have this sway.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    What has been your experience with the long die open can burner diodes? From my tests, these are completely different beasts from the typical burner diodes. Also, Marconi said that his diodes had a longer cavity than 'typical' reds, but this was before the long die open can diodes came out, and I seriously doubt that he was able to purchase enough to have a custom diode run. Not even small cdrom manufacturers who sell hundreds of thousands have this sway.
    I've had two of them work out of five from high hour pulled drives from the local surplus place which sels used DVD-roms at 5$ each. damn hard to remove the epoxy and life was not long. also very static sensitive compared to a 80. he was getting them from a company that had "sway". Lots of defense contractors that use lasers where he lives. I was getting them from CTR in mansfield. I had great luck with the 80 mW ones.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-05-2008 at 14:32.