Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB to PCI Adapter Found.... Good For QM-2000?

Blog Entries

Default USB to PCI Adapter Found.... Good For QM-2000?

Hi Everyone,
    I know a lot of you are looking for ways to make your light show more portable like me. Today I discovered this site that sells a USB to PCI adapter board. http://www.arstech.com/item-SSI2-PCI-card-ssi2_pci.html Although it won't give you the distance like the QM-2000.net with Ethernet; the price is only $129.00. You can't beat that! I'd imagine this would be an excellent alternative for people who want to use a laptop. I myself just purchased a docking station for my Dell laptop which has a PCI slot so I'm okay. However, if this works, I'll probably switch to this adapter and mount the assembly into a case. the docking station is still way too big. Anyone willing to try it out and see if it works?
    Thanks!
    Adam

Interesting. I didn't know they made such a beast.
    Fear Fair - Indiana's Scariest Haunted House
    www.FearFair.com
    My Light Display
    www.SeymourLights.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fearfair View Post
    Interesting. I didn't know they made such a beast.
    Me neither. Assuming that this adapter is USB 2.0, it should transfer data at 60MB/s where as PCI will transfer data at 133MB/s. This means the data transfer will be slower. (probably negligible) If so, the QM-2000 loads the light show program into it's RAM; therefore the QM-2000 "should" have no delays with the USB to PCI adapter. Or so I believe..... Any thoughts?

4. Default

hey,guy,I am also looking for this type of tool in order to use a laptop.Well,I am really want to know whether it wokrs perfectly for the QM2000 board.

If someone has tried it,please let me know.
    http://www.viasho.com
    wzc@viasho.com
    Whatsapp: +8613911142669

Cool

Only problem I see with that is that the USB standard is pretty limited for length. You can't go much over 18 ft on a USB cable without trouble. But yeah, as a laptop solution, it's cheaper and smaller than a docking station. (Assuming that it works, that is!)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Only problem I see with that is that the USB standard is pretty limited for length. You can't go much over 18 ft on a USB cable without trouble. But yeah, as a laptop solution, it's cheaper and smaller than a docking station. (Assuming that it works, that is!)

Adam
    Has anyone tried out those usb extenders (over cat5) for laser use? I have used them in some applications where they work great and others where they are a problem.

http://www.kvms.com/usb-extender.asp
    Fear Fair - Indiana's Scariest Haunted House
    www.FearFair.com
    My Light Display
    www.SeymourLights.com

read carefully, its not USB to PCI, it just looks like its using a USB connector, but it requires a "host card"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    read carefully, its not USB to PCI, it just looks like its using a USB connector, but it requires a "host card"
    Your right! Wow, I really screwed up there. Yes, you need this PCMCIA card in conjunction with this adapter to make it work on a laptop. http://www.arstech.com/item-SSI2-Hos...2_host_cb.html

I see what I did wrong now. I found the USB to ISA card adapters first. I just scrolled down the page until I found the PCI card adapter. I should have read the description in detail,,, Stupid! Sorry for the confusion...

Resurrecting the thread to ask if anyone has had any luck with this piece of hardware?

well its going to cost like $300 to find out... for that you might as well buy a .NET enclosure, or just scrap the QM card and get an FB3, usb and $500... less than a .NET enclosure