Thread: Dichro Alignement

Laser Warning Dichro Alignement

Hello ppl.

here i am again with my "options" and pics.

But i have an litle concern that i dont really get the hang of.

I havent really sat down 100% with this alignement but i have spent some time with it.

anyway. in the pic below you see my options and ill try to explain my dilemma.

In option 1 you can see the Green laser module Not in an 90degree angle. WIch feels litle strange.
    but its the only way i can get out close to the maximum of my Red Laser diode. 740mW

If i use the option 2 with the Green Laser module in an 90degree angle wich i thought was the way to do this. The Red laser module only puts out about 670mW after the dichro, Becouse of the way i have to angle the dichro.

I dont know but it feels like i should go for the Option 2 but i hate to loose 70mW. Is there something im doing wrong here or that i have not thought of?

I have serached alot about alignement in the forum but so many posts, so litle time.

anyone?

thanks for any help.

regards.

/Rickard

PS: if that is the case that the dichro make that much loss, can i go with option 1 couse i have alot of space left. But from the pics and other stuff ive seen most ppl go with option 2. The dichro is from Lasershowparts and is an P=R, R=G&B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails laser.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by rfourt View Post
    Hello ppl.

here i am again with my "options" and pics.

But i have an litle concern that i dont really get the hang of.

I havent really sat down 100% with this alignement but i have spent some time with it.

anyway. in the pic below you see my options and ill try to explain my dilemma.

In option 1 you can see the Green laser module Not in an 90degree angle. WIch feels litle strange.
    but its the only way i can get out close to the maximum of my Red Laser diode. 740mW

If i use the option 2 with the Green Laser module in an 90degree angle wich i thought was the way to do this. The Red laser module only puts out about 670mW after the dichro, Becouse of the way i have to angle the dichro.

I dont know but it feels like i should go for the Option 2 but i hate to loose 70mW. Is there something im doing wrong here or that i have not thought of?

I have serached alot about alignement in the forum but so many posts, so litle time.

anyone?

thanks for any help.

regards.

/Rickard

PS: if that is the case that the dichro make that much loss, can i go with option 1 couse i have alot of space left. But from the pics and other stuff ive seen most ppl go with option 2. The dichro is from Lasershowparts and is an P=R, R=G&B
    are you using a reflect green dichro?
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Lightbulb

I have made a few posts on this but will have to find them. I have found 90 or 45 degrees are not always the best angle for the most efficient transmission or reflection on some dichros. I would do what ever angle you can use that has the least number of bounces and has the most efficency. If you start to use more than one bounce to get the best angle, you just lost the % you could have gain with the best angle on the extra bounce.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

You almost always lose more power passing through a dichro compared to reflecting off it. Since green is the cheapest I think it's best to to use a pass green, reflect red dichro first. As you've noticed you can reduce the pass losses with angle tuning. The reflectivity and transmissivity spectra of dichros are quite angle dependent. If you have no problem with option 1 you should by all means go for it. You might lose more green that way, but that's usually not a problem.

I would also make sure that your dichro is installed the right way round. They do actually have a front and back. I had mine installed the wrong way for nearly a year without knowing.

Talking

In regards to using the right side of the dichoric...

Last night when I was working on my projector I realized that I definately have the dichorics in the right direction..

I knew this because when I was looking at the side and angle of the where the incoming beams are reflecting I saw a ver pure color to the coating that obviously matches the wavlength that I want to reflect.

My system is a little differnt from most on the forum... I have an air-cooled argon as my main stationary beam.
    I combine the green to this beam then combine the red last... But looking at the direction I mentioned above I saw the coatings to be pur green and red in tint.

If I look from the other side I see more of a blue and teel color (Same angles just wrong side)

Anyways this must be the way to check which side is your thin film... Tilit the dichoric at 45 and when you see the pure color you should be reflecting that should be the right side

Sorry if many of you knew this already... I should have know this as I have design filters in the past dahhh