Thread: 2500 remote interface for JDSU argon power supplies

Default 2500 remote interface for JDSU argon power supplies

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the 'inner workings' of these remotes? I have one here that belongs to a friend of mine... it's a bit 'finicky'.

Not all the lights work, but the issue I'm concerned with is current control.

This remote will allow the laser to idle, and I can adjust the current up to 4.55A, but when I try to go higher than that, it resets itself back to idle which is 3.96A.

ONE TIME I turned this remote on and it allowed me to adjust to full current, or 10A. The next time I turned it on it was the same story, goes up to 4.55A then resets itself back to idle. It will run forever at 4.55A, but the second you try to adjust higher it just resets itself. I'm thinking it may be a stupid board component causing this problem, but I dont know enough about how they function to really diagnose it.

Anyone have any ideas?

I gave up trying to source a remote, so I made my own from a d-sub connector, some scart cable, a switch or two and a 10k pot.
    I know that's not going to help you fix the remote, but you may just be able to swap out the pot inside (assuming it has one)

After a quick read of the manual, might be worth looking at the jumper setup, just in case...
    Isn't it usually prudent to run those Argon's in "Light" mode i.e. a fixed mW, and use the current mode only when servicing/estimating tube health? Obviously it will run fine in current mode, but I thought the manual advised Light mode was better...

If your mate is getting rid of the controller, give me a bell and I'll take it off his hands

Anyway, I've attached the manual below.

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JDSU 2010 Operation Manual.pdf  

I'm not sure if it is better to run in light mode, but unfortunately the remote does the same thing in light mode. Goes up to 10mW or so and then resets itself back to base power if you try to increase the power any further.

Did the manual help? I think the 2500 controller is around page 65 onwards...