Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laserworld 600RGY

Default Laserworld 600RGY

Ok Guys,

Here comes a review, well sort of.

I haven't been able to verify the scanner speeds.

I have now edited this review with the results of some power tests with a Coherent Meter.

Initial Reaction, Contents, Initial Positives

My initial reaction when receiving the package were, oh my god its huge!!

The flight case is certainly substantial. I had expected a hand carry brief case type. What I actually received was an extremely rugged wheeled case of the type you'd expect to see a roadie to have at a professional concert.

Here's a pic of it next to a bookshelf and with a mobile phone in front of it for scale and then unpacked to reveal the contents - note I've removed some cardboard packing pieces that were in the top of the case, so full marks to Laserworld on packing:

Once opened I was confronted with a beast of a machine. Very nice looking projector. The silver corner reinforcements have some silvering missing but I think this is down to poor coating rather than anything else. Overall, the case seems very substantial with the exception of the sensitivity adjustment knob for the mic which looks a little flimsy. Looks just like what you'd expect to see in a professional nightclub.

Its also nice to see a safety (bracket failure) lanyard included in the package as well as a DMX cable, safety key, safety plug, 3 pin power cable (European not UK unfortunately), very basic photocopied instructions and a Laserworld brochure.

Personally I wouldn't consider the European power lead a major issue. probably an oversight and being a home pc builder, I have a few uk pc power leads lying around (kettle leads are probably another alternative).

Front View:

Rear View:

Rear Panel:

So all very nice so far.

The mode ie. DMX, ILDA, Music is selected using the buttons and the LCD screen which is easy to read.

What's not so good?

1. Key switch isn't captive so key can be removed when in the "on" position and the key is very thin metal and feels like it could be broken in the lock easily.

2. The safety plug (essentially the one you'd wire an emergency stop switch too) has had the plugs soldered together inside to make the projector work. However, this makes it very difficult to reverse it to fit a safety switch. Would have been better to use a length of wire as a bridge in my opinion and soldered it more lightly:

EDIT: Now bought an emergency stop switch. Had to buy a new safety plug due to the internal pin soldering but only cost around £1 so not a major issue.

3. The classification labels have all been obscured with black pen. This kind of made me suspicious of the power claims:

EDIT:

He he, I have both UV and IR at my disposal, guess what IR shows:

Power 120W Class 1 (????)

Red Class 3
    Green Class 3

The power of Light!

Doesn't photograph as well as can be seen by the naked eye - eye can see the ridges of the embossed paint, the camera just sees the reflections which are more partial.

Bit of solvent on the front sticker reveals Class 3B sticker!!

Maybe, they're 400mw Class 3B but typically put out more than specified as mentioned in the advert so can be Class 4 600mw. Would explain both the wording and labelling (wouldn't want a Class 4 product labelled Class 3B or vice Versa), or am I just being optomistic?

EDIT: NOW TESTED WITH A COHERENT POWER METER: 677MW BEST READING, 604MW WORST.

So it meets its specified power levels with ease (Laserworld state: 400mw guaranteed / 600mw typical).

Power test from cold - High Definition Video - shows 604mw:

http://www.vimeo.com/2103065

677mw read when warmed up in later test.

Performance

I started it this morning in a well lit room and projected it onto a white wall 11 feet away opposite. I couldn't see the beams (no smoke) but the patterns looked bright especially at the corners - in fact I had a little inclination to look away from the brightness, especially of the spots at the corners of rectangles or the ends of lines. A good sign I suppose when it comes to assessing the power.

Colourwise, on the wall the colours looked very clean. The red was deep, the green well green, but the colour I expected might be a bit mustardy, the yellow, actually looked quite clean.

Video performance:

Videos in this review are linked on Vimeo but are large as high quality so may take time to buffer.

All the videos are "as is" - no cheating ie. no saturation or contrast increases just as out of the camera.

Graphics Test using High Definition Video

Standard Patterns in Sound to Music Mode:

http://vimeo.com/2131499

Beam Test in High Definition Video

With a Martin Magnum 650 smoke machine and martin DJ smoke, it performed very well. Nice deep reds and clean yellows. Beams very visible when viewed almost head on (camcorder stood just outside of the scan range -literally by inches only and on a similar level to the projector).

Video: In the dark with Martin DJ Smoke:

http://www.vimeo.com/2141812

Internally:

Everything looks neat and tidy. Worst thing I can see is the dichro looks very poor quality and the lasers have white stickers on them that give wavelength but no power info - I rather suspect they sit atop the manufacturers writing.

Otherwise very impressive looking:

Last edited by White-Light; 11-05-2008 at 01:38.

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post

3. The classification labels have all been obscured with black pen. This kind of makes me suspicious of the power claims although without a meter I can't verify output.
    Thats seems to be a strange habbit of laserworld.

An other PL member opened his laserworld RGB to find out that all lasers where obscured/sensorized with black pen.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Good review.
    Keep it coming as it's this kind of low level stuff that I enjoy.
    And the piccies of course (pictures are our hugs!).

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Default Classification levels

My laser has no classification levels at all! Not on the laser, not in the manual, not on package... Any ideas what level it can be? It's a 40 mW green laser, I suspect him for being Chinese. Anyway, is it safe to use it in audience scanning? He has shone in my eyes a few times, it didn't hurt but it was bright and I had an after vision for a few seconds.

Congratulations RGBlaserfan for buying such a nice laser. Just add blue and you're there...

There are no receptors in the back of your eye (retina) so you don't feel burns or damage being done.

The only safe way to audience scan is to calculate MPE. Anything else is a gamble. Some seem to get away with it, some don't. But its a big gamble to take with your sight.

Only way to know for sure about your laser is to buy a power meter or find someone who has one and get it tested.

Videos added.

Might add some more commentary later when I have time to think -very busy at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    My laser has no classification levels at all! Not on the laser, not in the manual, not on package... Any ideas what level it can be? It's a 40 mW green laser, I suspect him for being Chinese. Anyway, is it safe to use it in audience scanning? He has shone in my eyes a few times, it didn't hurt but it was bright and I had an after vision for a few seconds.
    are you even sure it has an ir filter?
    from what i hear, unfiltered ir is a serious eye threat too, and a lot of the "cheapies" can be unfiltered.

cheap lasers with no IR filtering are EXTREMELY dangerous. IR is invisible. so you wont know youre getting hurt until its too late. at least with visible lasers, (and not the IR component) you can SEE the danger and follow the proper precautions.

IR, you cant! "Ebaysers"- 99% of the time- do NOT have properly filtered lasers. so, please be cautious and be aware.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Thats seems to be a strange habbit of laserworld.

An other PL member opened his laserworld RGB to find out that all lasers where obscured/sensorized with black pen.
    Evidently it is a OEM case filled with stuff different from what originally intended.
    Laserworld has the bad habit to "enhance" the specs of all their products.
    For example my 45K galvo (probably at 1 degree scanning angle ) became then 50k the next year. Reading carefully you find that "should be" 50k with smaller mirrors that are "unfortunately" NOT mounted on the galvo you get.....
    I will rather prefer less "loudness" EQ from their specs

Last edited by Pitopito; 09-14-2008 at 00:45.

I have no doubt that its either OEM cases or maybe the original laser modules overdriven slightly to achieve the stated spec.

I'm sure my case lists both lasers individually as Class 3 though - thats very clear even under the marker and makes me wonder why they were obscured as they have to be Class 3 now. Only thing I couldn't see was a classification letter, so like I say, I wondered if these were old cases that used the old system and that explains the obscurity.

I certainly can't really fault the case though - it all seems to run very cool - the exhaust air doesn't even feel warm after 10 minutes of continual use and the case quality itself seems very good quality - full blown nightclub spec, sensitivity adjustment knob aside, which whilst nicely finished in a chrome look does feel as though it would snap off with a slight knock. Kind of a consumer feeeling part on a commercial feeling product.

As for laser quality, I can't comment properly as I don't have a power meter.

The beams seem of nice diameter, the colours seem very good - the yellow is much cleaner than I expected having seen some pretty poor yellows on Youtube videos, and the brightness is extreme, suggesting to me its probably not far off the claimed values.

If its achieveing its 600mw max, its puts it up there with many of the 700-750mw RGB projectors on here for red / green power, assuming you're using the 100-150mw blues. Obviously if you're using more blue, then its even possibly more powerful in the R/G department than some of the RGB's on here, so its certainly not short on power if achieving those figures!

If I knew how to open the RS case, I could maybe check on the galvos and lasers inside.

I tried the screws in the top plate but it wouldn't budge so there's obviously more holding it shut than immediately meets the eye.
    Last edited by White-Light; 09-14-2008 at 01:37.