Thread: Quality of CNI lasers

Default Quality of CNI lasers

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a 532nm 150mW CNI Laser from their "low cost" line. The PGL-V-H-532nm-150mW with 10% stability and digital blanking. This would be the laser for my first laser system, built around a scanpro20.

I have tried to find a review for that specific laser, but have not been able to. All I've read is that some people think CNI lasers are bad quality lasers.

So, I'm wondering, does anybody here have experience with CNI's low cost lasers? Would I be making a bad investment by buying one?

Thanks,

Simon

Thumbs up

Hi Simon,
    I purchased 3 different CNI lasers from Lasershowparts (thanks Dave!).
    They all worked very well and construction quality was great. I would buy CNI lasers without question in the future.
    Tim

Thumbs up

I'll definitely second the recommendation for CNI lasers & the chaps at Lasershow Parts!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hi Bulldog
    I dont know wHere you heard CNI are poor quality, they may not be the best Chineese lasers but they are certainly up there. My RGB pojector is still running strong with a very old CNI PGL-V that I've had for about 5 years. Spec'd at >20mW it did a good 100mW and these days will still do 80-90. I have converted it to analogue blank and is only let down by the fact that it has passive cooling so is a bit 'jelly beanie'

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Thanks for the input. I'm relieved actually, because that means I'll be able to get a good laser for a price I can afford.

As to where I got the bad reviews: I googled "CNI laser quality" and the first forum threads to come up had very mixed opinions about them.

Well - there are forums and then there is photonlexicon!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog_99_00
    the first forum threads to come up had very mixed opinions about them.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog_99_00 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm relieved actually, because that means I'll be able to get a good laser for a price I can afford.

As to where I got the bad reviews: I googled "CNI laser quality" and the first forum threads to come up had very mixed opinions about them.
    LOL the post was from guy named acerays whose contribution to this forum was 7 posts in total 2 years ago. Besides 2 years is the age of universe (read: very very very very very long ago) for technology. My advice when you researching for product, look to more recent posts
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Quote Originally Posted by trwalters001 View Post
    Well - there are forums and then there is photonlexicon!!
    So I've discovered. So far, I'm very grateful for the advice I've gotten here... a great little community I've stumbled upon. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    My advice when you researching for product, look to more recent posts
    I did. See above

Smile

CNI currently has a very good reputation, but if you go back 4 years or more, they had some problems. That's probably where the idea got started that they were bad, and some people just haven't kept up with the changes since then.

Today I believe CNI represents the cream of the crop, at least when it comes to Chinese laser suppliers. (Sure, a Mells-Griot laser might perform even better, but it will cost 10 times as much!)

As The Doctor already mentioned, 2 years is a long time when you're talking about a rapidly changing technology.