Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attn: Facebook Guru's... I have a Question.

Default Attn: Facebook Guru's... I have a Question.

Hi all

In an effort to drag myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century I would like to put our business on Facebook. In fact, what i'm really after is one of those nifty Facebook addresses such as: www.facebook.com/nike, it's the '/myextensionhere' that appeals to me but I don't know how to set this up.

Any hints and tips appreciated at this point.

Also, can anyone briefly explain to me the point of 'Twitter' . I've been told that Twitter (and Facebook) is the place to be and that I really need to get our business on there. Oh, and before anyone say it... Yes, I know, i'm getting old. But hey, at least i'm trying .

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Also, can anyone briefly explain to me the point of 'Twitter' . I've been told that Twitter (and Facebook) is the place to be and that I really need to get our business on there. Oh, and before anyone say it... Yes, I know, i'm getting old. But hey, at least i'm trying .
    Noooooo...
    Don't do it Jem!
    I still can't (and point blank refuse to) fathom that whole thing out...

I am more than ok with missing out on "key information" and "breaking news" from friends such as:
    Just been to the chippy - LOL

Sorry - can't help you on the Facebook thing either. I was dragged kicking and grumbling on to that... and still can't work it properly!
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    ...I was dragged kicking and grumbling on to that... and still can't work it properly!
    Oh come on Dan..., for a future world leader you can do better than that surely

I'm just starting to understand Facebook, but Twitter just outright confuses me and I just don't get it. Think i'm going to book myself into that home for the terminally bewildered after all. If you can't explain it to me at your age what chance have I got
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Just go to http://facebook.com/username and sign up for your username before someone else does.

Carefull! you can only set ur username once!

Thanks for the reminder i just made mine too http://www.facebook.com/masterpj555

Hey guys,
    I'm glad I'm not alone with my lack of twitter and Facebook savvy.

I love technology and new things but these two modes of communication have left me cold so far. For some reason I find them a bit overwhelming. I often find myself perplexed by everyday items like microwave ovens ,photo copiers and fax machines to.

Quiet a lot of my non pl friends almost completely communicate via facebook. I end up out of the loop and get invited to parties via text messages that read something like this " oh, and for you Facebook haters, I'm having my birthday on Friday the 20th" when they remember us non Facebook leppers.

I like technology to work for me, not me work for the technology.

I feel like I need to hire a Facebook consultant to help me use it how I want. I know the settings have improved but it seems so convoluted and difficult to have a clear idea of what's private and what's not. I don't know how to set it up so your groups of friends more closely represent your different circles of friend in your life. Eg separation of work, family, nosey judgmental relatives ect.

I'm happy to stick my head in the sand and pretend Facebook doesn't matter.

Who would have thought good old one on one email and SMS would become old fashioned?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I set up a Facebook page for our business but, it doesn't work the way I'd like and I can't go back in and change it because I already used the business name once. I wished I'd had someone showing me what to do rather than attempt it myself. I'm sure I could be getting a lot more out of it but don't have the time to mess with it.

Twitter? About useless as far as I can tell.

Facebook for personal use has been kinda cool. I've reconnected with a lot of old friends and people I've worked with but, you still need to exercise the same amount of common sense cautions that you normally would with information, pictures and who exactly it is that's "friending" you. It's still the internet and still can be hacked.

I nearly use any kind of the "new" communications I guess.
    *except linkedin
    Though I have no clue what's difficult about the "services"like twitter
    if you really can't figure things out: google is ur friend.

Thanks folks, I think i've finally got it figured, with the help of the good folks on PL of course

Now i've set up a corporate page I just need to decide what i'm going to do with it.

Still can't see the point of Twitter though

Cheers

Jem

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Thanks folks, I think i've finally got it figured, with the help of the good folks on PL of course

Now i've set up a corporate page I just need to decide what i'm going to do with it.

Still can't see the point of Twitter though

Cheers

Jem
    Use twitter like a kind of changelog or to annouce things for your company. it s what i do sometimes when I have a new improvement which I can and like to share with people interested in what i do *followers*
    or you follow people that have certain things that interrest you, it keeps you up-to-date.
    Sometimes also people might ask you for bussiness or ask for your services ON TWITTER

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Use twitter ...to annouce things.
    Pfftt... this new version sounds overly complex.

I like my "old school" version of Twitter:
    Whenever I want to announce something, I write it down neatly on a Post-It note, then staple gun it to the side of a homing pigeon. Of it goes, out the window...
    Never let me down.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -