Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laser-rich chinese 532nm 200mw dpss

Default laser-rich chinese 532nm 200mw dpss

So I picked up a "220mw" DPSS laser from feeBay, and was pretty happy.

It was doing very well.

Then something happened with the TTL blanking circuit. I was driving it with a DMX-512/audio embedded controller that I had from a set of 12kpps galvos.

After much poking around the power supply board (labeled NY-02A-001D) I found it was the 14 pin IC which is an inverter IC that was the culprit. I hacked in a DIP chip in place of the SOIC surface mount chip, and she was back to life.

Well, sort of. But the power is WAY off. Way low. My other 40mw laser, the bounce from the beam combiner optic is as powerful (maybe 5mw?).

During my poking, I did short a transistor which triggered the diode to come on, and it was bright as heck. I hope I didn't damage it at this point.

My big thing is, I can't get ANY information from the people. The head had the www.laser-rich.com URL, and I emailed them asking for some info and got no reply. The guy that sold it to me offered originally only to repair it, for a fee, after me shipping it back and paying shipping again.

What I could REALLY !@$#ing use is the proper output voltages that should be going to the diode. I can crank the power up on the POT, but then the stupid transistors inside overheat.

It's not possible to align the thing, it's a sealed module.

It's totally upset me. It took a good amount of time to troubleshoot the power supply, and just when I thought I was good things aren't.

I'm also wondering if maybe more than just the chip is bad, and I'm not seeing the full output due to another issue.

No schematic for the power supply. I know which two wires apparently go to the diode. Other than that... at a loss.

I will post links to picture of the head and power supply (including the board, and the repair hack, etc).

On other notes:

The diode has a sticker that says 195mw, even though it was advertised as 220mw.

The inside of the power supply had quite a bit of dust, as if it had been used a bit. Perhaps it's from a burn in... but didn't look new.

Rattly fan, like you find in cheap PCs.

Lightbulb

Welcome! take a few pictures of the laser for us and I am sure one of us can sort it out for you. Or at least point you in the general direction.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Default Pics or it didn't happen!

Okay photos!

You can use all sizes to get up to the many megapixel versions:

Power supply back together after adding replacement inverter IC:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethanotoole/2518688563/

Laser head with power supply:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethanot...n/photostream/

Power supply close up, component side:

Power supply, bottom side after removing 4069 IC:

This user was the source (identical auction from same guy):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/220mw-532nm-DPSS...QQcmdZViewItem

I got some info back from them regarding the transistor which I first thought was bad. They also gave me info as to which leads are the laser diode, which are the TEC, and two that are a thermistor.

I don't know what kind of power the diode should be getting, or how to properly "set up" the laser from scratch (proper drive voltage/current for diode and TEC).

Grrr.

it's possible that your replacement inverter IC can't source/sink the current required to achieve full output? Did you match the locgic type? (Cmos, etc)

for the pump diode, the operating voltage should be 2.0V or below (If it's over, it's probably being overdirven.) For a 1W pump diode, max operating current is around 1.25A, for a 2W pump, max operating current is around 2.2A.

Default Hmm

Okay, the specs of the inverter don't look too much different. Perhaps the transistor I replaced threw something off.

I got the information from the person I bought the laser from:

the voltages on the red & black is about 1.8V;
    the Current on the red & black is about 2A;
    the voltages and the Current on the blue & green wires changes by
    temperature of the surrounding.

I reset the power output of the power supply to 1.8V, and measured the current at .8A ... I don't think the current and voltage can be independently adjusted.

So this must be why the power is so limp.

I replaced transistor C1815 with a NTE85 ... but this was before I knew that the IC was the problem. So I will switch back to the original C1815 and see if there is any difference. I also switch a resistor out, but can't imagine a difference there.

Perhaps it's the IC, but I dunno.

You've replaced the CD4069 with a 74LS04, have you tried a CD4069?

Jim

Exclamation Chinese laser ..

I would never expect lasers from China to be in proper working order...as anythign else.

The majority of the members here are using Chinese lasers. With a few notable exceptions, most Chinese brands are just fine, and several brands have *very* good reputations. CNI is just about tops in terms of price, performance, and reliability.

How much experience have you had with lasers from China?

Adam