Thread: Using Analogue mod lasers on TTL

Default Using Analogue mod lasers on TTL

Hi People

Can anyone tell me if Analogue modulated lasers work ok with TTL as I have 2 new CNI 150mW lasers with Analogue modulation but no controller with Analogue Mod until my PM25 arrives.

I have tryed the lasers with my TTL blanking DMX system and they did'nt seem to happy. When I set the TTL signal high the laser output was not full power but seemed to get brighter after a few minuets. The Image blanking seemed to be ok but if I blacked out the image for more than about 20 seconds then the output power takes time to come back to full power.

I intend to run two projectors from the one output from my controller meaning both lasers using the same blanking signal. When I tryed this with the TTL signal from my DMX system, the output power of the two lasers dropped by about half sergesting the 5v's is being devided between the two lasers.
    Will this be the issue with an Analogue signal. BTW my old TTL lasers were happy working together on one TTL singnal.

Any and all help will be greatfully recived.

Carl

Carl

Some lasers have a separate input for TTL to the analogue one but with CNI Im pretty certain this is not the case and this should be no different to an analogue signal switching between 0 and 5v without any intermediate points so should work.
    You certainly shouldnt have any problem spliting the signal between 2 lasers as the inputs should be of high enough impedance not to affect the signal. Maybe try putting something like a 10k resistor in series with the input of each laser to be sure - the value is not important (within reason) as there will be little current flow to the input.
    Failing this maybe you need to make up a circuit to interface/buffer between the output of the projector and the laser though you really shouldnt have to.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Hi Rob

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I think i'll wait till the PM25 arrives with proper analogue moding and see how the lasers react befor trying anything els.

This waiting for my controller is doing my head in a bit but I don't want to keep pestering George as he is still quite buisy with work but i'm hoping it will arrive sometime this week. When I last spoke to him the missing metal work that needed replacing was ready and the desk just needed programming. Heres living in hope.

Carl